For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Alternative Teaching Certification for Non-Majors

Drexel University School of Education

Students not majoring in education and students who have completed a bachelor’s degree have options for teacher certification through the School of Education.

Undergraduates who are not majoring in education may build teacher certification into their programs of study as electives dependent upon the major. Options include:

  • Pursuing DragonsTeach option. DragonsTeach is specifically designed for Drexel STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) majors to obtain a secondary teaching certificate (Grades 7-12) while pursuing their primary STEM major. 
  • Pursing DragonsTeach Middle Years (DTMY) option. DTMY is specifically designed for Drexel non-STEM majors to obtain a middle school teaching certificate (Grades 4-8) while pursuing their primary major.
  • Enrolling in the Education Minor. Completion of the minor does not specifically result in teacher certification. However, the course work may though be applied toward completion of the credential and is a good way to ‘dip your toe’ into PK-12 schools teaching. Your advisor and the School of Education advisor will build a plan from the minor leading to certification.
  • Enrolling in as many courses as possible and finishing the certification requirements as a post-baccalaureate or master’s degree student.
  • Pursuing a double major with the second major being education.
  • Pursuing the BS/MS option.

Students who complete the requirements may qualify for state teacher certification at the elementary (grades PreK–4), middle (grades 4–8) and secondary (grades 7–12) levels.

Alternative Teaching Certification Programs

Students pursuing a BS, BA or BS/MS in a non-education major may earn certification in the following areas listed below. Please visit the online Drexel University Course Catalog by selecting from the programs:

Elementary Education Certification

Secondary Education Certification

 * BS/MS students only 

What Can You Do With an Alternative Teaching Certificate?

Students who earn an Alternative Teaching Certificate will have the ability to teach elementary, middle, or high school subjects depending on the exact certificate. This is a way for students who have not majored in education to transfer their education into a teaching career.

Program Questions

Jack Barnes Director of Student Recruitment Drexel University School of Education

For questions about School of Education academic programs, please contact Jack Barnes (