DragonsTeach STEM Certification Program
Drexel University School of Education
DragonsTeach is a unique Drexel University program that offers Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) majors the opportunity to receive secondary teaching certification alongside their degree and co-op experience. Depending on the area of study, students are eligible to receive high-school teaching certification in the following subjects: Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or General Science.
DragonsTeach is designed to address the national need for qualified STEM teachers by allowing students to experience secondary teaching through inquiry-based instruction. DragonsTeach is a collaborative effort of the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Engineering, and the School of Education and is supported by a $1.45 million grant from the National Math and Science Initiative to replicate the UTeach program.
Why Teach STEM?
Teaching STEM is a rewarding and meaningful way to make a difference for future generations. It is also a very in-demand profession. Nationwide, there is a shortage of STEM teachers, particularly in urban school districts located in America’s cities. STEM teachers can enjoy fulfilling careers as they prepare the next generation of scientists, engineers, coders, and more!
Top 3 Reasons to Teach STEM
1. The world needs you!
New breakthroughs in technology and other STEM fields are made every day fueling the need for a workforce with the skills and knowledge to support it.
2. You have a big advantage!
Students who major in a STEM field like physics, mathematics, biology, chemistry, etc., and earn teaching certification become a great asset to a school, giving them a leg up on others who may not have the same level of expertise.
3. You’ll make a lasting impact.
Ask any teacher and they will tell you, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing their students learn and apply their knowledge. Even better is the feeling when you see your students go on to future success in a STEM field (although it may make you feel a little old!).
STEM Certification Benefits
Students in DragonsTeach take courses toward earning teacher certification. Those who complete the program can finish earning teacher certification by completing required field experiences including student teaching.
Benefits of Earning STEM Teaching Certification
- Gives you options after graduation. Students can pursue a career in a STEM field or teach STEM at a school.
- Saves time and money. By taking courses as an undergraduate, you can save yourself a lot of time and money. Non-DragonsTeach students who go back to school later in their career to earn teaching certification often take at least 2 years to complete the program.
- Makes you well-rounded. It’s one thing to be knowledgeable in a STEM subject, but it’s totally different to have the ability to communicate and teach a classroom full of kids. Through DragonsTeach, students graduate with the confidence to be experts in their field and strong, outgoing professionals capable of working well with other people ranging from young students to managers and CEO’s.
STEM Teaching Jobs
DragonsTeach students go on to pursue a wide variety of careers. Here's how former students describe how DragonsTeach prepared them for future success.
Kathryn Volk, Biomedical Engineering '17
"This year, I will be the only engineering student graduating with a minor in STEM education. This made me a very unique candidate for my data analyst position at Johnson & Johnson which involves breaking down complex information to present to different audiences."
Nicole Naranjo, Biological Sciences '18
"As an international student, I used to feel very insecure about my accent during classroom discussions and presentations. The teaching experiences in DragonsTeach made me confident in my public speaking skills and enabled me to become a better learner."
For more information, please visit the DragonsTeach website.