Master of Science (MS) Degree in Special Education
Drexel University School of Education
Drexel's Master of Science degree (MS) in Special Education is designed to produce highly qualified professionals to expand educational horizons for all students in need. Schools are facing a severe and chronic shortage of certified special education teachers and administrators, and there has never been a better time to explore a career working with children with special needs. There is a desperate need for talented, qualified individuals who will work to create a fair and welcoming environment to provide education to all students.
Drexel University’s School of Education graduate degree in special education is 100% online, giving you the flexibility you need to advance or accelerate your career in special education teaching.
What Can You Do with a Master’s Degree in Special Education?
The need for those with a special education degree is projected to increase rapidly over the next decade due to rising populations, legislation that demands higher standards, and the need to implement instructional technology in special education classrooms.
Special education experts with graduate degrees can fill a variety of roles such as:
- Department chair or an administrator overseeing special education programs
- Educational advisor in a state or the national department of education
- Special education advocate
- Advisor in a professional organization
- Expert advisor for product development
A master’s in special education prepares students to apply for Pennsylvania’s special education certification. Upon completion of the necessary special education degree requirements, Drexel University will recommend the student for the appropriate certification.
Master’s Degree in Special Education - Program Options
The special education graduate program, which is delivered entirely online, was recently named one of the best online master's programs in education.
Drexel University has been offering online courses since 1996, bringing its recognized faculty and curricula to a worldwide student body. Drexel is a winner of the Sloan-C Award for Excellence in Institution-Wide Online Education and is committed to providing quality, accredited programs online. This is a flexible program with no fixed class hours - allowing you to pursue your master’s degree in special education on a schedule that works for you.
Graduate Special Education Program Eligibility
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate GPA will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA)
- If you do not meet this requirement, you’re still encouraged to apply and your file will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Program Director
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting Drexel Online's Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Personal Essay that addresses the following:
- Why you are interested in this field
- Why you are interested in attending the program at Drexel University
- What are your career goals and how will Drexel’s program help you achieve those goals?
- How does this program relate to your previous education and/or work experience?
- Additional requirements for International Students
Special Education Courses & Curriculum
Drexel’s Master of Science (MS) degree in Special Education relies a great deal on collaboration and experience. Our curriculum incorporates traditional coursework and cutting-edge instruction using current learning technologies, instructional design and comprehensive research.
The program can be completed within 21 months and consists of 45 credits:
- 27 credits in Core Special Education Certification courses
- 12 credits in concentration courses
- 6 credits in action research
In addition to the coursework, students are required to develop a professional portfolio, which serves as a “capstone” experience in which graduate students demonstrate the skills and core competencies of the special education degree specialization. The portfolio will be reviewed during the student’s exit interview, which is conducted in the final term. Students must earn a passing score on their portfolio and the exit interview to be recommended for completion of the special education graduate program.
For the MS in Special Education curriculum, please see the Drexel University Course Catalog.
Students have an opportunity to pursue one of the following concentrations:
For more details on required coursework for the MS in Special Education, please visit the Drexel University Online Course Catalog.
Special Education Practicum
Drexel’s Master of Science degree (MS) in Special Education is a certification-driven program with the goal of preparing teachers with the skills and knowledge to advance learning for all students with disabilities. The special education graduate program is part of an experiential degree that provides in-depth theory regarding disabilities connected to actual educational practice.
A variety of practicum application requirements are built into the special education degree core certification curriculum. These field experiences are a critical part of the coursework where students apply their academics in a real classroom setting and develop a model of teaching that will guide them throughout their professional career.
How to Apply to the Master of Science in Special Education Program
The master's of science in Special Education is offered 100% online. You can get started by filling out the Drexel Online application.