The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) National Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee is offering ten (10) scholarships to deserving law student members who are engaged and interested in the area of immigration law and a member of a diverse population group.
The deadline for submission is July 30, 2021.
The AILA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion scholarship program reaffirms our commitment to increasing diversity within AILA, legal education, and the legal profession. These scholarships provide financial assistance to qualified AILA law student members that identify with a group that is underrepresented in the legal profession and our organization, and specifically includes future AILA members from socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
Each scholarship includes a full payment of $750 issued directly to the awardee. The scholarship money will be taxed based on current IRS guidelines.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria Include:
Plus One or More of the Following Criteria:
- Recipient is a member of a diverse population group or has other diversity and inclusion factors, including but not limited to, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, education, other factors;
- Financial need;
- Demonstration of diversity and inclusion obstacles and how they were overcome/overcoming; and/or
- Active service in immigration law field / interest in working in immigration law field.
- Be an AILA law student member in good standing.
- Submit your scholarship application by Friday, July 30, 2021, with the following information:
- Your name and email address
- The name of the law school you are attending
- Your intended year of graduation
- Your interest in immigration law
- The diverse population group you identify with
- Your active service in the immigration law field or interest in serving in the immigration law field
- Your financial need
- Any diversity and inclusion obstacles and how they were overcome or you are overcoming
- How you believe this scholarship will support your career as a future immigration attorney and future AILA member
- A copy of your current unofficial transcript
To apply: Submit your scholarship application via the link below by 11:59 pm (ET) on July 30, 2021.
Scholarship recipients will be encouraged to attend a local AILA Chapter meeting, event, or networking opportunity and help AILA's DEI committee promote its message within AILA. Scholarship recipients will also be encouraged to write a 400+ word DEI blog for AILA's Think Immigration blog.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to AILA DEI staff liaison LaJuan Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org.