Kaltura (Drexel Streams)
Kaltura, also known as Drexel Streams, allows users to upload videos that will stream both in and out of their courses in Drexel Learn. Although a video is only uploaded one time, it can be linked in multiple courses, added in multiple locations within a single course or shared directly with others.
To access Drexel Streams directly, users can do the following:
- Log in to DrexelOne at https://one.drexel.edu
- Click on the Campus+Community tab
- In the Technology Services channel click on the Drexel Streams link
Once authenticated, all videos that are owned by a user can be seen in their My Media area. This will include all videos that had been uploaded to Kaltura Media through Drexel Learn.
We are working to provide a number of tutorials to help users get started using Drexel Streams. You can access all tutorials from the Tutorials page on this website.
The most powerful feature of Kaltura use, through Drexel Learn, is the ability to obtain a report on each of the videos. Faculty can see who has watched which videos, how often and for how long.
When getting started with Kaltura, keep the following best practices in mind as you upload and manage your media:
- Add a course name and number, e.g. ENGL-101, to the Title field. Even if the video is associated with more than one course, choose one as the primary and list it here.
- Add the course name and number for every associated course in to the Tags field. This way you will easily be able to search for videos that are associated with a particular course.
- Upload each video only once. After a video has been loaded in to Kaltura, it can be added to any of your courses in Drexel Learn.
*IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE FACULTY MEMBER INVOLVED TO SECURE ALL COPYRIGHT RELEASES NECESSARY TO DISTRIBUTE THEIR CONTENT — REGARDLESS OF FORMAT.*
Fair Use and the Teach Act does allow for a fair amount of distribution rights, but not for full videos or audio presentations. For further information, refer to the IPL's Copyright and Fair Use page.