Drexel Leaders 20/20
Focusing on Leadership at Drexel
Drexel Leaders 20/20 (DL20/20) helps experienced leaders at Drexel University expand their leadership capabilities. Program members attend in-person workshops where they learn from their own experiences, their colleagues' experiences, and experts in the field. DL20/20 participants use assessment results to reflect on their leadership practices. They also create action plans for future development. Participants have the opportunity to learn with and from Drexel colleagues and discover resources to help them in their leadership journeys. An online platform allows members to seek out additional resources and share their leadership discoveries with others.
- use the results from a comprehensive feedback process to create a plan for their own leadership development;
- explore the impact of their own leadership and communication styles on their working relationships;
- discover ways to influence organizational structure, both generally and specifically at Drexel;
- partner with colleagues to identify strategies for resolving values-based conflict;
- construct a proactive plan for navigating through change; and
- collaborate with other participants to enrich the leadership experience at Drexel.
Candidates can self-nominate or be nominated by a leader in their unit. Candidates should be faculty or professional staff members with at least five years of management experience (of either people and/or projects) and a history of engaging in their own professional and leadership development. To defray the cost of running the program, a $1,000 fee will be charged back to the participant's home department.
Please follow the process below to nominate a candidate or self-nominate.
1. The nominating representative communicates with the potential candidate and their manager/department head to notify them of the intent to nominate, OR the candidate discusses their interest in the program with the leadership in their unit, including their direct manager.
2. The candidate or nominating representative submits a nomination form using the link provided in the annual call for candidates. The nomination form will include:
- Name of nominator (first and last)
- Nominator's email address
- Nominator's position title and department
- Name of candidate (first and last)
- Candidate’s email address
- Candidate’s position title and department
3. Drexel Human Resources (HR) will contact the candidate to invite them to submit an application, which will include:
- A general information form
- A form approving a chargeback of $1,000 to the department to cover the cost of the program if the candidate is chosen to participate
- Two letters of recommendation; at least one must be from a leader in the unit who can approve the $1,000 chargeback
- The candidate's resume or brief CV
- The candidate's leadership story — in a format of their choosing (prose, video or other visual medium, audio, etc.) — describing what they will bring to/take away from the program, their leadership trajectory, the watershed moments in their lives that influenced their leadership journey, people who had an impact on them and how they lead, and how their values impact their leadership
4. The DL20/20 Advisory Committee reviews all submitted applications. Once the DL20/20 cohort is selected, HR will notify all applicants of the final decision.
For additional information, email questions to Kathy Choy, Assistant Director of Talent Development, at email@example.com.
What Participants are Saying About the Program
Director, Policy and External Affairs
College of Engineering Office of the Dean
"Drexel Leaders (DL) 20/20 provided me with the opportunity to reflect on my personal leadership style while giving me the tools, time, and space to work to become a thoughtful and engaged future leader. I appreciated the creation of a 'gracious space' in which to interact with a small cohort, allowing for open and insightful conversation. The opportunity to have a peer coach to learn from and with whom I could connect outside of the workshops provided a different and more personal way to talk through current work situations and future opportunities. Kathy is a wonderful guide for this program and helped to maintain continuity, even when we had to pivot mid-stream to go virtual. Although I have completed the program itself, the Drexel Leaders 20/20 Teams site is a place for DL20/20 alums to further share ideas and connect. I recommend anyone looking to take that next step in leadership development to apply to this program."
Director, Communications and Events
"The Drexel Leaders 20/20 program helped me successfully transition into the next phase of my Drexel career. The program forced me outside of my comfort zone and pushed me to think about my professional and leadership development in a concrete way. The sessions and activities provided a forum for sharing different ideas, perspectives, and experiences with a small cohort of Drexel colleagues, and allowed us to plan for how to approach scenarios in our daily work. The session on navigating a VUCA environment (volatile, uncertain, complex, ambiguous) was especially helpful as we unknowingly approached the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020. As a result of the program, I was able progress in my role and navigate and lead change with confidence."
University & Community Partnerships
"Drexel 20/20 was an invaluable experience for me as both a Drexel employee and a Project Director. While all the programs, exercises and articles were engaging and informative, two of the activities were personally enlightening: 1) the OPTM360 professional survey was very productive. It forced me to pause and digest helpful comments and observations from other trusted and respected colleagues. And 2) the Emotional Intelligence Appraisal made me realize some gaps and areas of growth that would have gone unnoticed had I not taken the time to complete the survey. Drexel 20/20 allowed me to grow professionally in my role by providing fun, kind and eye-opening opportunities for me to see myself from a different perspective. I also really appreciated being able to interact with other colleagues from departments with whom I normally would not have an opportunity to interact. Even during the pandemic, our 20/20 cohort remained strong and intact through the supportive leadership of the Drexel 20/20 team! I am very grateful for the experience!"
Director of Operations
"The Drexel Leaders 20/20 program elevated my thinking as a leader and built my professional network! There were numerous aspects of this program that pushed me into evaluating how I was perceived as a professional. From our initial assignment, 360-feedback, the foundation was set for you to take a deeper look internally. It gives people time to simply pause and reflect on the organization, its systems, and your emotional intelligence that personally provided me with the confidence to contribute more to Drexel's community. The Organization Workshop had a lasting impact on my perspective, and I now understand how important each human resource is to the organization. This workshop led to transparent conversations which allowed the cohort to see that there were struggles on all levels within an organization but also power on each level. Ultimately, we all had a responsibility to improve our surroundings as leaders. As a group, we were able to form stronger bonds after this workshop and after the program. Drexel Leaders 20/20 is an effective and memorable program; I would recommend it to any professional who wants to evolve as a leader and truly make an impact on others as well as within Drexel!"
Director, Services and Quality Improvement
Drexel University Libraries
"I started the DL20/20 program feeling pretty confident about my role within the Libraries but looking for connections across the University, as well as skill development and new approaches that could help me develop into a more effective supervisor and teammate. The DL20/20 program really delivered! The variety of topics we covered taught me how to understand the breadth of my opportunities as a leader within Drexel, and strengthened my responses to novel situations within Libraries leadership and with inspiring my direct reports. The DL20/20 experiences I shared with my fellow participants established some great connections that are still strong today; the trust we built over the course of the program has led to easy connections among us, which helps us work together easily to solve problems for students and faculty, and improve the university experience for all of us. The DL20/20 program has contributed a lot to my skills addressing complicated situations with equanimity and clarity. I highly recommend it to other folks at Drexel!"