Dr. Andrew Magenau received his PhD in Polymer Science and Engineering from the University of Southern Mississippi in 2010. He worked as a Visiting Assistant Professor at the Department of Chemistry of Carnegie Mellon University from 2010 to 2012. Following, he held a position as Principal Investigator at Dupont Central Research and Development from 2012 to 2014. He then worked as a Visiting Assistant Professor at Pennsylvania State University from 2014 to 2015 before he joined our college as an Assistant Professor in 2015. His research focuses on developing new polymer syntheses approaches and exploring new polymeric structures to create novel materials that benefit society at large. He is a recipient of a Young Investigator Award from the ACS Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering Division (2019) and was selected as an Air Force Summer Faculty Fellow (2020). At Drexel, he has received the University level Allen Rothwarf Award for Teaching Excellence Presented to Junior Tenure-Track Faculty (2023) and the College of Engineering Outstanding Early-Career Research Award (2020).
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Polymer Science and Engineering, University of Southern Mississippi, 2010
Minor in Technology Development
- BS, Plastics Engineering Technology, The Pennsylvania State University, 2004
Minor in Operations Management
Bioengineering, Polymer Science
- 2020 College of Engineering Outstanding Early-Career Research Award
- 2019 American Chemical Society (ACS) Division of Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering (PMSE) Young Investigator
- Riki M. McDaniel, Michael S. Carey, Olivia R. Wilson, Michel W. Barsoum, Andrew J. D. Magenau, Well-Dispersed Polymer Nanocomposites using Covalently Modified, Multilayer, 2D Titanium Carbide (MXene) and In-Situ “Click” Polymerization. Chemistry of Materials (Cover Article) 2021, 33, 1648-1656.
- Joshua Lequieu and Andrew J. D. Magenau, Reaction-induced phase transitions with block copolymers in solution and bulk. Polymer Chemistry 2021, 12, 12-28.
- Olivia R. Wilson, Riki M. McDaniel, Arianna D. Rivera, and Andrew J. D. Magenau, Alkylborane Initiated Thiol-Ene Networks for the Synthesis of Thick and Highly-Loaded Nanocomposites. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2020, 12, 55262-55268.
- Renee L. Timmins, Olivia R. Wilson, Andrew J. D. Magenau, Arm‐first star‐polymer synthesis in one‐pot via alkylborane‐initiated RAFT. Journal of Polymer Science 2020, 58, 1463-1471.
- David H. Howe, Ken J, Jenewein, James L. Hart, Mitra L. Taheri, Andrew J. D. Magenau, Functionalization-induced self-assembly under ambient conditions via thiol-epoxide “click” chemistry. Polymer Chemistry 2020, 11, 298-303.
- David H. Howe, James L. Hart, Riki M. McDaniel, Mitra L. Taheri, Andrew J. D. Magenau, Functionalization-Induced Self-Assembly of Block Copolymers for Nanoparticle Synthesis. ACS Macro Letters (Cover Article) 2018, 7, 1503-1508.
- Jessica A. Weaver, Samantha L. Morelly, Nicolas J. Alvarez, Andrew J. D. Magenau, Grafting-through ROMP for gels with tailorable moduli and crosslink densities. Polymer Chemistry 2018, 9, 5173-5178.
- Olivia R. Wilson and Andrew J. D. Magenau, Oxygen Tolerant and Room Temperature RAFT through Alkylborane Initiation. ACS Macro Letters 2018, 7, 370-375.
- David H. Howe, Riki M. McDaniel, Andrew J. D. Magenau, From Click Chemistry to Cross-Coupling: Designer Polymers from One Efficient Reaction. Macromolecules 2017, 50, 8010-8018.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Jeffrey A. Richards, Melissa A. Pasquinelli, Daniel A. Savin, and Robert T. Mathers, Systematic Insights from Medicinal Chemistry To Discern the Nature of Polymer Hydrophobicity. Macromolecules 2015, 48, 7230-7236.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Saumya Saurabh, Sue K. Andreko, Brigitte F. Schmidt, Alan S. Waggoner, Marcel P. Bruchez, Live Cell Imaging of Subcellular Organelles Via Genetically Targetable Polymeric Fluorescent Probes. Biomaterials 2015, 66, 1-8.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Nicola Bortolamei, Elena Frick, Sangwoo Park, Armando Gennaro, and Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, Investigation of Electrochemically Mediated Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization. Macromolecules 2013, 46, 4346-4353.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Yungwan Kwak, Kristin Schroeder, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, Highly Active Bipyridine-Based Ligands for Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization. ACS Macro Letters 2012, 1, 508.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Nicholas C. Strandwitz, Armando Gennaro, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, Electrochemically Mediated Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization. Science 2011, 332, 81-84.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Yungwan Kwak, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski, ATRP of Methacrylates Utilizing CuIIX2/L and Copper Wire. Macromolecules 2010, 43, 9682-9689.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Todd R. Hartlage, Robson F. Storey, Thiol-terminated Polyisobutylene: Synthesis, Characterization, and Derivatization. J. Polym. Sci. Part A 2010, 48, 5505-5513.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Justin W. Chan, Charles E. Hoyle, Robson F. Storey, Facile Polyisobutylene Functionalization via Thiol-Ene Click Chemistry. Polymer Chemistry 2010, 1, 831-833.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Nemesio Martinez-Castro, Daniel A. Savin, Robson F. Storey, Polyisobutylene RAFT CTA by a Click Chemistry Site Transformation Approach: Synthesis of Poly(isobutylene-b-N-isopropylacrylamide). Macromolecules 2009, 42, 8044-8051.
- Andrew J. D. Magenau, Nemesio Martinez-Castro, Robson F. Storey, Site Transformation of Polyisobutylene Chain Ends into Functional RAFT Agents for Block Copolymer Synthesis. Macromolecules 2009, 42, 2353-2359.