- 07/03 - Present: Associate Professor,Engineering Technology, School of Technology and Professional Studies, Goodwin College, Drexel University.
- 04/04 - Current: Affiliated Faculty, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics, College of Engineering.
- 01/96 - 06/03: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Technology, IMAM Coordinator, and Director of Mechatronics Lab, Temple University
- 08/98 - 08/02: Design Consultant, Holo Image Technology, Pennsylvania.
- 08/96 - 08/99: Design Consultant, Amtrak, Pennsylvania0
- 4/95 - 11/95: Co-op Manufacturing Engineer, Tie Down Engineering, Georgia
- 03/95 - 11/95: Postdoctor in Manufacturing - Georgia Tech, Georgia.
- 01/92 - 05/95: Teaching/Lab Assistant, Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- 09/88 - 08/89: Mechanical System Designer, Integrated Manufacturing System, Ok
- 07/83 - 07/87: Mechanical Design Engineer, ChungHwa Picture Tubes, Taiwan
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1995
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Oklahoma State University, 1989
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, National Central University, Taiwan, 1983
Internet-based robotics and automation, E-quality, Online lab learning, mechatronics, control, green energy and sustainable manufacturing.
- Drexel Research Day Award, Faculty Advisor, 2011
- Best Paper Award - the World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics (WMSCI 2010)
- Drexel Most Outstanding Masters Award of Research Excellence, Thesis Advisor, 2010
- Drexel Research Day Award, Faculty Advisor, 2010
- Drexel Research Day Award and Honorable Mention, Faculty Advisor, 2009
- Best paper award - the International Symposium on Engineering Education and Educational Technologies (EEET 2009)
- Marquis Who's Who in America, 2008
- SME Certificate of Appreciation for Education Committee service, 2008
- “Fusing Green Energy into Manufacturing Engineering Education to Cultivate Technical Success and Leadership Excellence among Hispanic Engineering Students,” PI: Richard Chiou, Co-PIs: Michael Mauk and Radian Belu, in collaboration with the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP), US Department of Education DHSIP, 10/1/12-9/31/17, Drexel receives $750,000.
- “Solar Cell Imaging: A Gateway for Visualization and Learning STEM Disciplines,” PI: Michael Mauk, Co-PIs: Richard Chiou and Ying Sun, National Science Foundation, January 2013 – December 2015, $180,480.
- “Lab on a Chip: Integrating Microfluidics into the Applied Engineering Curriculum,” PI: Michael Mauk, Co-PIs: Freddie Reisman, Vladimir Genis, and Richard Chiou, National Science Foundation, January 2011 – December 2013, $199,996.
- “Enhancement in Online Laboratory Learning,” Richard Chiou, William F. Lynch, Michel Miller, and Yongjin Kwon, U.S. Department of Education, 1/1/2007-12/31/2009, $410,465.
- "E-Quality for Manufacturing (EQM) Integrated with Web-enabled Production Systems for Engineering Technology Education," PI, with Co-PI(s): William F. Lynch, Michael Mauk, Vladimir Genis, and Yongjin Kwon, National Science Foundation, 10/1/06-9/30/09, $457,999.
- "Implementation and Enhancement of Internet Based Robotics, Automation, and CAD/CAM/CNC in a New Manufacturing Engineering Technology Curriculum," PI, with Co-PI(s): Yongjin Kwon
- Richard Y. Chiou and Irina N. Ciobanescu Husanu, “Design of a Web-enabled Robotic System for Quality Control Laboratory,“ Accepted by Computers in Education Journal, 2014.
- Lu L, Zhang Q, Wootton D, Chiou R, Li D, Lu B, Lelkes P, Zhou J., “Mechanical Study on Polycaprolactone-Hydroxyapatite Porous Scaffolds by Porogen-Based Solid Freeform Fabrication Method,” Journal of Applied Biomaterials and Biomechanics, in press, 2013.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin (James) Kwon, and Tzu-Liang (Bill) Tseng, “Micro-3D Vision for MEMS Positioning,” Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 17-25, Computers in Education Journal, October – December 2012.
- Lin Lu, David Wootton, Qingwei Zhang, Richard Chiou, Peter Lelkes, Dichen Li, Bingheng Lu, Jack Zhou, “Biocompatibility and biodegradation studies of PCL/b-TCP bone tissue scaffold fabricated by structural porogen method,” Journal of materials science. Materials in medicine 23(9):2217-26, 2012.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin (James) Kwon, and Robin Kizirian, “Design and Implementation of 3D Digital Visualization Technologies for E-Lab Learning,” Computers in Education Journal, Vol. XXI, Number 1, January - March, 1-12, 2011.
- Richard Chiou and Yongjin (James) Kwon, “Remotely Adjustable Robotic Grip Force for the Network-based Assembly Automation,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 54, Numbers 9-12, 1145-1154, 2011.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin (James) Kwon, Tzu-Liang (Bill) Tseng, and Robin Kizirian, and Yueh-Ting Yang, “Real-time Stereoscopic 3D for E-Robotics Learning,” Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Vol. 9 – No. 1, pp. 8-13, 2011.
- Richard Chiou, Michael Mauk, and Yongjin (James) Kwon, “Six Sigma-Based Quality Control Laboratory for Engineering and Technology Education Innovation,” International Journal of Engineering Research and Innovation, Vol. 2, No. 2, Fall/Winter 2010.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, Bill Tseng, Yueh-Ting Yang, and Robin Kizirian, “Enhancement of Online Robotics Learning Using 3-D Visualization Technology,” Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 46-51, 2010.
- Richard Chiou & Yongjin (James) Kwon, “Network-based Remote Closed-Loop Force Control Using LabVIEW,” Computers in Education Journal 2009, Vol. XVIII, No. 4, pp. 2-11, Oct-Dec, 2009.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, and Prathaban Mookiah, “Manufacturing E-Quality Through Integrated Web-enabled Computer Vision and Robotics,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 43, Numbers 7-8, pp. 720-730, August, 2009. Yongjin Kwon and Richard Chiou, “Automated Vision Inspection in Network-based Production Environment,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 45, Numbers 1-2, pp. 81-90, November, 2009.
- Yongjin Kwon, Richard Chiou, and Leonard Stepanskıy, “Remote, Condition-based Maintenance for Web-enabled Robotic System,” Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Volume 25, Issue 3, pp. 552-558, June 2009.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, and Bill Tseng, “Java Programming for Online Quality Control Laboratory Integrated with Remote Robot,” Computers in Education Journal, Vol. XVIII, No. 3, pp. 42-54, July-September, 2008.
- Richard Chiou and Yongjin Kwon, “Internet-controllable Vortex Tube Experiments for Thermodynamics Laboratory Class,” Computers in Education Journal, pp. 2-8, Vol. XVIII, No., October–December, 2008.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, Bill Tseng, “Java Programming for Online Quality Control Laboratory Integrated with Remote Robot,” Computers in Education Journal, Vol. XVIII, No. 3, pp. 42, July-September, 2008.
- Richard Chiou, Yongjin Kwon, Shreepud Rauniar, and Horacio Sosa, "Visual Basic Programming for Internet-based Robotic Control", Computers in Education Journal, pp. 81, Vol. XVII, April – June of 2007.
- Richard Y. Chiou, Jim S J. Chen, Lin Lu, and Mark T. North, "Investigation of Dry Machining with Embedded Heat Pipe Cooling by Finite Element Analysis and Experiments," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Volume 31, Numbers 9-10/January, 2007.
- Kwon, Y., Chiou, R., Rauniar, S. & Sosa, H., “Web-Enabled Micro Robotic System and its Positioning Characteristics” Journal of Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 2007.
- Richard Y. Chiou, Jim S J. Chen, Lin Lu, and Mark T. North, “Finite Element Analysis for Computer Aided Green Design of a Cutting Tool Embedded with a Heat Pipe,” Computers in Education Journal, January – March of 2006.
- Kwon, Y., Chiou, R., Rauniar, S. & Sosa, H., “Positioning Accuracy Characterization of Precision Micro Robot over the Internet,” Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 45-57, 2006.
- Kwon, Y., Rauniar, S., Chiou, R. & Sosa, H., “Remote Control of Quality Using Ethernet Vision & Web-enabled Robotic System,” Journal of Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 35-42, 2006.
- S. Y. Liang, Y. K. Kwon, and Richard Y. Chiou, “Modeling the Effect of Flank Wear on Machining Thrust Stability via Frequency Band RMS Method,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, pp. 857 – 864, Volume 23, Numbers 11-12, 2004.