Dr. Hao Cheng is an Associate Professor in the Department of Materials Science & Engineering at Drexel University. He received his B.E. and M.S. degrees in Chemical Engineering from Tsinghua University in 1999 and 2001, respectively. He completed his Ph.D. in Materials Science & Engineering from Northwestern University in 2005. Prior to joining Drexel University in 2012, he was a postdoctoral associate at Northwestern University and MIT. His laboratory focuses on cell membrane-derived hydrogels, long circulating nanoparticles, and biomaterials/biological materials for inducing antigen-specific immune tolerance. As a corresponding author, Dr. Cheng has published in journals such as ACS Nano, Nano Letters, Nature Communications, and Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. He is a recipient of the inaugural Nano Research Young Innovators Award in Nanobiotechnology in 2018.
Degrees / Education
- PhD Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, 2005
- MS Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2001
- BE Chemical Engineering, Tsinghua University, 1999
Biomaterials, immunoengineering, drug delivery, nanomedicine, cell engineering
Areas of Study
- Nano Research Young Innovators (NR45) Award – 2018
- Fan Z.,1 Deng J.,1 Li P.Y., Chery D.R., Su Y.,Zhu P., Kambayashi T., Blankenhorn E.P., Han L., Cheng H.* A new class of biological materials: Cell membrane-derived hydrogel scaffolds. Biomaterials 197, 244-254 (2019) (1 authors contribute equally)
- Zhou H., Fan Z., Li P.Y., Deng J., Arhontouslis D.C., Li. C.Y., Bowne W.B., Cheng H.* Dense and dynamic polyethylene glycol shells cloak nanoparticles from uptake by liver endothelial cells for long blood circulation. ACS Nano 12, 10130-10141 (2018). (Cover)
- Qi H.,1 Zhou H.,1 Tang Q., Lee J.Y., Fan Z., Kim S., Staub M.C., Zhou T., Mei S., Han L., Pochan D.J. Cheng H.*, Hu W., Li. C.Y.* Block copolymer crystalsomes with an ultrathin shell to extend blood circulation time. Nature Communications 9, 3005 (2018).(1 authors contribute equally).
- Zhou H., Fan Z., Lemons P.K., Cheng H.* A facile approach to functionalize cell membrane-coated nanoparticles. Theranostics 6, 1012-1022 (2016). (Cover)
- Zhou H., Fan Z., Deng J., Lemons P.K., Arhontouslis D.C., Bowne W.B., Cheng H.* Hyaluronidase embedded in nanocarrier PEG shell for enhanced tumor penetration and highly efficient antitumor efficacy. Nano Letters 16, 3268-3277 (2016).