Scientific Travel Meeting Subsidy
The Department of Health Management and Policy (HMP) offers a limited number of travel subsidies annually to full-time students who are pursuing degrees in the department.
These funds are available to help support travel for a student presenting a paper or poster at a national conference in their field. The funds can help defray some conference registration and travel costs.
If you are presenting research that is being done in conjunction with a faculty member (whether within or external to the HMP Department), first speak with them to request that your expenses be covered by their grant or discretionary funds before requesting funding from the Department. If the faculty member cannot cover the costs in their entirety, please follow the HMP Departmental travel policy guidelines below.
Travel Subsidy Application Requirements
Awards will be considered on a case-by-case basis and are dependent on availability of department funds.
To apply, please submit the following application materials to Sarah Flynn:
- Name and degree program
- Conference name, location and dates
- Detailed budget of estimated costs (e.g., airfare/train, hotel, taxi, etc.)
- Student summary of work to be presented or submitted abstract
- Supporting letter/email from research mentor (i.e. the person with whom the research is being conducted). In the supporting letter from the research mentor, please ask that they address the question of availability of funding to help support this travel.
- Proof of abstract submission and/or acceptance
Note that awards will only be made after proof of presentation acceptance is provided. Students will be reimbursed upon submission of receipts from the conference and only expenses allowable by Drexel University policies will be reimbursed.
Please discuss allowable expenses and reimbursement processes with George Kuruc before traveling to the conference. All travel must be approved prior through Concur in accordance with Drexel guidelines.
Travel Subsidy Deadlines
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but may be submitted no later than the 4 weeks before the set travel date.
Guidelines for Submitting a Request
Guidelines include the following:
- Every effort must be made to apply for funds from Drexel's Graduate College for a domestic travel subsidy or Office of Global Engagement for an international travel subsidy.
- Students must be registered for the academic quarter of travel to be eligible for funds (exceptions made for summer conferences)
- Subsidy award amount will vary depending on the estimated travel costs and department funding availability, but not exceed $500 max for a national/international meeting.
- Maximum of one travel award per fiscal year per student.
- In cases in which the number of travel requests exceeds available funding, the department will consider the number of awards a student has received in previous years.
If you have any questions please contact George Kuruc or Sarah Flynn.