Community Health and Prevention
The Department of Community Health and Prevention promotes health through the scientific study of communities, examining the social, cultural, economic, and environmental factors that influence health at the neighborhood level. Our work also focuses on the human rights and social justice aspects of public health. We are committed to securing the conditions that support population health.
What is Community Health and Prevention?
Community Health and Prevention aims to understand health behavior, promote the health of communities, and sustain community health. This work is done by designing, implementing, managing and evaluating health programs and policies in domestic and global settings.
Dornsife’s Community Health and Prevention department emphasizes an education based on the principles of community engagement, participatory action, and human-rights-based values in research, practice, and policy.
Our multidisciplinary approach to community health is reflected in our actions, public health programs, and policies that build upon community values, strengths, and assets.
Our community health training programs offer a diverse student body the chance to learn and practice rigorous behavioral and prevention science methodologies to become experts in a range of community health areas.
- Department of community health partnerships and other relationships with more than 100 community organizations offer students an unparalleled chance to develop real-world expertise in urban and neighborhood-focused public health.
- Our faculty are renowned for their innovative strategies in community health promotion and public health practice. They work closely with our students and community partners to break new ground in public health research and the investigation of community factors linked to health.
- Our graduates build rewarding careers in public health, not only in community-based organizations, but also in government, industry, academia, and the not-for-profit sector.
To learn more about our university community health degrees, request more information to speak with a member of our admissions team today or visit the links below for a full list of available opportunities.
Community Health and Prevention Degrees, Certificates, Courses
Community Health Master's and Doctoral Programs
View all CHP department graduate courses in the Drexel Catalog.
Graduate Minors in Community Health
- Arts and Community Health
- Global Health
- Latino/Immigrant Health
- LGBT Health
- Maternal and Child Health
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Public Health Ethics and History
- Substance Abuse and Misuse
Learn more about Public Health Graduate Minors.
Community Health and Prevention Graduate Certificates
Undergraduate Minors in Community Health
Featured Research in Community Health and Prevention
Equipped with naloxone and a smartphone app, community members can save lives in the fight against America’s opioid crisis, according to a paper from researchers at the Dornsife School of Public Health and colleagues published in The Lancet journal EClinicalMedicine.
Senior author Stephen Lankenau, PhD, professor and associate dean for research, co-led the study with David Schwartz of Bar-Ilan University, Israel.
More Research News