MS Data Analysis Project Info
As a second year student in the MS in Biostatistics program, you will perform a substantial data analysis project as a culminating experience under the supervision of a Department faculty member. We encourage students to pursue projects based in outside sponsoring organizations. Sponsoring organizations may include healthcare facilities, government agencies, non-profit organizations, health insurance companies, consulting firms, pharmaceutical companies, and other academic departments. Projects based in outside organizations need to have a doctorally-prepared on-site supervisor identified in the outside organization. The project needs to be approved by the faculty advisor in consultation with the on-site supervisor.
Via this project, the student shall demonstrate the following competencies:
- clearly understand the substance of scientific problems and be able to formulate them quantitatively
- be able to organize, enter in computer and manipulate data in a form ready for analysis
- choose appropriate statistical methods and understand the strengths and limitations of different methods
- conduct high quality data analysis that can stand review and criticism; and
- communicate the work in a clear and logical report and oral presentation
At the end of the data analysis project, each student shall submit a written report of the project. The report should in general be 30-50 pages long (not including appendices or citations) and consist of competency in the following:
- Research question and background;
- Study design and data structure;
- Consideration of alternative statistical methods;
- Statistical methods used and data analyses conducted;
- Results and interpretation; and
- Discussion and conclusion.
At the conclusion of the project, the student will be required to make a 25-30 minute research presentation about their work to the Department.
Links to Important Forms
Data Analysis Project Overview
Data Analysis Project Form
Data Analysis Project Collaboration Agreement Guidelines