The Digital Development Camp is sold out for 2021, please contact CCISummerPrograms@drexel.edu for information about future programs
About the Drexel University Digital Development Camp
The Drexel University Digital Development Camp is a three-week virtual program led by College of Computing & Informatics (CCI) faculty and student leaders. This year’s camp is scheduled for Monday, July 26 through Friday, August 13, 2021. The camp is open to rising high school juniors, seniors and accepted CCI students with an emphasis on building a camper cohort that is demographically balanced.
In its second year, Digital Development Camp students will be able to choose between two tracks: FullStack and Cybersecurity.
- (ALL AVAILABLE SPOTS FILLED) The FullStack track gives aspiring developers the opportunity to learn about full stack web development. FullStack includes front-end design, human-computer interface and user experience, back end development including data integration. This track includes daily lessons, workshops, guest speakers and individual/group work time. Campers work in teams to plan and develop a web site of their own. This track was offered in summer 2020.
- (ALL AVAILABLE SPOTS FILLED) The Cybersecurity track provides a summer cybersecurity camp experience for students. The goals of the program are to increase interest in cybersecurity careers and diversity in the cybersecurity workforce of the nation, help all students understand correct and safe online behavior and how they can be good digital citizens. This track includes daily lessons, workshops, guest speakers and individual/group work time. Campers will complete a series of projects that will teach them about cybersecurity.
- July 26 to August 13, 2021 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. EDT (Monday-Friday) with a dedicated Blackboard Ultra Classroom site.
- Tuition is $300 per camper.
- Beginner friendly; no experience needed.
- A balanced schedule including live instruction, peer collaboration and self-paced project development per day.
- Learn about the College and Drexel during special informational sessions for attendees and parents, with direct access to CCI faculty, professional staff and student leaders.
- Maximum of eight students per instructor, blending personalized learning and time to socialize with new friends.
- Registration deadline is Friday, July 9, 2021.
Camp Timeline and Important Dates
- Tuesday, March 30, 2021 – Registration Opens
- Friday, July 9, 2021 - Registration Deadline
- Monday, July 26, 2021 – Camp Begins
- Friday, August 13, 2021 – Camp Ends
Students in the inaugural Digital Development Camp in summer 2020 reported that they felt more confident in their web development skills, and were inspired to learn more and pursue studies—and potentially a future career—in computing. Our 2020 campers shared the following testimonials about their experience:
- "Coming into this camp, I had a basic understanding of HTML and CSS but had never created a website using the languages. Over the course of this camp, I was able to gain a working knowledge of these languages and feel more comfortable in my ability to succeed in this field. This was especially beneficial because I hope to become a front-end developer in the future."
- "Before I came to this camp, I had only heard of HTML and CSS but personally never used them before. I was really nervous coming to the camp because I wasn’t sure how much I could contribute to the group. However, throughout the two weeks here, I continuously learned more and more through workshops, the counselors, and my teammates, and now feel as though I have a solid foundation in the two languages."
- "Through this camp I learned how to use HTML and CSS in a different way. It was also interesting to learn how to use a different collaborative browser-based IDE to code in other than the one I used in school. I learned a lot more about styling websites and how to make them more user friendly than I had in school as well. Next year I am taking Computer Science III Honors and I will definitely use my new skills to better my websites."
Learn More About 2020 Digital Development Camp Projects
For additional information, please email us at CCISummerPrograms@drexel.edu.