SICK TiM$10K University Challenge
Monday, October 3, 2022
12:00 AM-12:00 AM
SICK Inc., is excited to announce a challenge for universities across the nation to support innovation and student achievement in automation and technology. Twenty teams will be selected to participate in the challenge and the chosen teams will be supplied with a SICK 270° lidar (TiM) and accessories, as well as a license to AppSpace, an eco-system where an individualized SensorApp can be developed for the TiM-P LiDAR. The teams will be challenged to solve a problem, create a solution and bring a new application that utilizes the SICK scanner in any industry.
Registration is now open for the 2022-2023 academic year, and teams will be chosen in October!
About the TiM-P
From advanced manufacturing to automated vehicles and self-driving cars, engineers are using LiDAR to change the world as we know it. As the usability of lidar has increased while the price has decreased, lidar is becoming ever more instrumental in ensuring the quality and efficiency of packaging processes at the world’s biggest companies. The TiM-P is a fully programmable 2D LiDAR sensor for various industrial tasks both in- and outdoors.
At a Glance
- Wide working range: 0.05 m up to maximum 25 m at 270° aperture angle
- Low power consumption (typically: 4 W) o High flexibility for a wide range of applications
- “Welcome app” as a starting point for programming your own apps
- Simple scripting with Lua and code examples in GitLab and GitHub
About SICK AppSpace
AppSpace is an eco-system where individualized SensorApps for certain sensors are developed. These SensorApps are created on the basis of our intelligent software tools and algorithms. Existing solutions for industrialized LiDAR products (like the TiM) can be adapted to individual applications, or completely new SensorApps can be created in line with specific requirements.
At a Glance
- Enables simple edge computing
- Quick and efficient development of tailor-made SensorApps specially tuned to your requirements
- A high degree of flexibility due to a high degree of freedom in the development of SensorApps
- Reduced amount of development work required thanks to option of reusing SensorApps on various programmable devices
The 3 winning teams will win a cash award of
- 1st Place - $10K
- 2nd Place - $5K
- 3rd place - $3K
Up to 20 teams will be chosen from around the US with the opportunity of multiple teams coming from a single school. Registered teams will be notified of their participation in this year’s contest by mid-October 2022 with hardware delivered by the first of November 2022. The contest will end in April 2023 culminating in an awards ceremony. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prize winnings will be distributed in May 2023 ($10,000 for 1st, $5,000 for 2nd and $3,000 for 3rd) with the first place team also receiving an all-expenses paid trip to Germany in May/June 2023 to visit the SICK world HQ in Waldkirch.
Learn more and register