Educational Specialist in School Psychology (EDS)
Drexel University School of Education
What is an EdS in School Psychology?
An Educational Specialist (EdS) in School Psychology is a professional psychology program that allows students to learn the latest assessment processes and how to implement targeted, evidence-based intervention processes for children. Drexel’s highly published faculty are leaders in the field of School Psychology, Applied Behavior Analysis, and Early Childhood Development. Students graduate ready to assume the roles of School Psychologists in education systems and pediatric settings.
What can you do with an EdS in School Psychology degree?
School Psychologists make a tremendous impact in the lives of children. They work with students with behavioral issues, disabilities, and other issues to develop plans to improve their learning. They also work with parents and teachers to assist children at home and in the classroom.
School Psychologists have a wide variety of career options, including:
- Public and private schools
- State agencies and education departments
- Behavioral health agencies
- In-home care
Educational Specialist in School Psychology Courses and Curriculum
The curriculum of the Educational Specialist in School Psychology programs covers a wide range of critical topics to ensure graduates receive a well-rounded educational experience. The program includes coursework in
- School Psychology
- Early Childhood Development
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Multicultural awareness, sensitivity, and practice for school psychologists
- Working with English language learners
- Legal and ethical policy and law
The program consists of 70.5 credits of coursework which can be completed in two years. Upon completion of the courses, students enroll in a one-year internship program to apply the lessons learned in their studies and meet the requirements for the completion of the program. The full list of courses can be found in the Drexel Course Catalog.
Drexel uses a hybrid learning model that combines face-to-face and online courses to provide students with a flexible path to their degree. Students have access to all of Drexel’s facilities including the award-winning Hagerty Library and the School of Education’s clinical rooms. As a winner of the Sloan-C Award for Excellence in Institution-Wide Online Education, Drexel University is committed to providing quality education opportunities online.
Through experiential learning experiences, students apply their knowledge in real-world settings with Drexel partners including Elywn, St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, and the AJ Drexel Autism Institute.
Hybrid Program Features
- School psychology courses are taught in person at Drexel’s main campus in Philadelphia, while ABA and other concentration and/or elective courses are completed online.
- Students meet on campus for school psychology courses where they learn and use research-based assessment tools before administering them in the field.
- By meeting face-to-face, students can see their professor in-person, ask questions and learn from their expertise.
- The cohort nature of the program allows students to build networks and relationships with their classmates, the faculty and staff.
EdS in School Psychology – Program Eligibility
In order to be eligible for Drexel’s EdS in School Psychology program, one must have:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- GPA (undergraduate or graduate) of 3.0 or higher
- Previous experience working with children is preferred
To be considered for the EdS in School Psychology Program, the following documents are required:
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Essay that addresses the following:
- Why you are interested in this field
- Why you are interested in attending the program at Drexel University
- What are your career goals and how will Drexel’s program help you achieve those goals?
- How does this program relate to your previous education and/or work experience?
- Additional requirements for International Students
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting Drexel Online's Completing Your Application Guide.
GRE scores are not required for admission to this program.
How to Apply for the EdS in School Psychology Program
The EdS in School Psychology program is offered as a flexible hybrid program with courses taught online and face-to-face. You can get started on the path to your degree by completing the Drexel Online application.
Learn More About Drexel University’s Educational Specialist in School Psychology Program
If you’re interested in the EdS in School Psychology and would like to learn more, fill out our contact form to speak with a program recruiter today.