Master's of Science Degree (MS) in Creativity and Innovation
Drexel University School of Education
Creativity is the ability to generate novel ideas. Innovation is the means to implement them.
An IBM survey of over 1,500 chief executive officers from 33 countries found that creativity is the most important factor in the ability to navigate an increasingly complex world (IBM Global CEO Study, 2010). Creative, critical thinking forms the foundation of progress, whether it’s bringing a new product to market or addressing homeland security issues.
What is a Master's of Science in Creativity and Innovation?
At Drexel University, we believe that everyone is creative. That’s why we designed our online Master's of Science (MS) degree in Creativity and Innovation to help students become aware of their innate creativity and implement creative thinking in the corporate or educational workplace. Graduate students in our creative master's program will learn to address complex situations and foster creative environments in a variety of educational and business settings.
The Creativity and Innovation graduate program is delivered entirely online and takes students through a planned sequence of courses and experiences that build a foundation for success. The flexible program allows students to take elective credits that deepen their knowledge of a specific discipline in the field.
Creativity and innovation are in high demand, and our graduates know how to use them to get results.
What Can You Do with a Degree in Creativity and Innovation?
Students who earn the MS in Creativity and Innovation graduate degree will gain a set of qualifications that allow them to succeed in many different kinds of careers.
Graduates are able to market themselves in areas such as education, engineering, biomedical applications, graphic design, public relations, sales, advertising, healthcare, and fashion.
Upon successful completion of the MS in Creativity and Innovation program, students will be able to:
- Assess and develop their own creative strengths.
- Effectively identify problematic situations within a variety of settings and fields.
- Produce plausible and creative solutions to solve real-world dilemmas.
- Methodically analyze complex problems and implement the best possible solutions.
- Improve workplace results through innovative practices.
- Examine and interpret contemporary research in creativity and innovation in academic and professional settings.
- Participate in cutting-edge research and share ideas.
- Develop expertise in their own workplace to foster creative environments and identify fellow creative problem solvers within their workforce.
In today’s constantly changing workforce, versatility is an enormous benefit. The creative thinking, problem-solving, and leadership skills taught in the MS in Creativity and Innovation program are useful and marketable in a variety of settings.
Career Paths with an MS in Creativity and Innovation
Whether students are looking to advance in their current career, or pursue a new career path, the MS in Creativity and Innovation from Drexel University School of Education can help set them up for success. Careers include:
- Creative Director
- Business Development
- Director of Innovation
- Marketing Director
- Graphic Designer
- Director of K-12 School Curriculum
Who should apply to the Creativity Graduate Program?
The need for greater creative thinking to overcome challenges in business and education are more important than ever. The type of students who will benefit most from Drexel’s MS in Creativity and Innovation program those that are:
- Interested in becoming more creative in their profession or everyday life.
- Part of a team that needs more creative thinking to reach set goals and objectives.
- Looking to advance in their career within a field that requires a creative mindset.
- Leaders interested in helping their teams think “outside the box” with new, innovative ideas.
MS in Creativity and Innovation - Program Options
The Creativity and Innovation in education degree program is delivered entirely online and takes students through a planned sequence of courses and experiences that build a foundation for success. The flexible graduate degree program allows students to take elective credits that deepen their knowledge of a specific discipline in the field. The program offers 5 diverse concentrations including:
- Human Resource Development
- Global and International Education
- Higher Education
- Learning Technologies
- Learning in Game-Based Environments
Students in the MS in Creativity and Innovation program receive one-on-one personal academic advisement to ensure that educational and professional objectives are met within the course of study. Our advisors develop personal relationships with their students and are invested in helping them take advantage of the many benefits of a Drexel education, including online program delivery.
MS in Creativity and Innovation Program Eligibility
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Graduate GPA's will be considered along with the undergraduate GPA, and a cumulative GPA above 3.0 may be considered
With multiple ways to submit documents, Drexel University makes it easy to complete your application. Learn more by visiting Drexel Online's Completing Your Application Guide.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts from all universities or colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions (including trade schools) attended
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- Personal statement (500 - 750 words) describing your interest in the program. Specifically, please discuss:
- How the program relates to your previous educational activities
- If changing course, why you are moving in a new direction with your educational goals
- How the program relates to your current line of work
- How you plan to apply the program to your future goals
- Additional requirements for International Students
Creativity and Innovation Degree Curriculum
The MS in Creativity and Innovation curriculum is designed with working professionals in mind. The graduate degree curriculum is based on both strong theoretical foundations and practical application that allows students to maximize their own creative capabilities.
The program involves 45 credit hours of coursework:
- 24 credits of required core courses in Creativity and Innovation
- 9 credits of capstone course/project work
- 12 credits of electives. Students will select electives with the assistance of their program director or academic advisor
Students in the MS in Creativity and Innovation program complete a research capstone course where they are introduced to various types of research designs and learn to be both consumers and producers of research. Following completion of the research course, students will complete a capstone experience by selecting one of the two-course multidisciplinary sequence options below:
- Thesis (Part I and II) - Students who select this option will be required to complete a master’s thesis which consists of a well-written research paper, comprised of five chapters that posits a research question and uses logical arguments & data to address/answer a gap in research
- Lesson Study (Part I and II) - Students who select this option will be required to complete a research-based lesson design and analysis project
- Practitioner Course (Part I and II) - Students who select this option will be required to complete a master’s project. Examples include: A reform initiative narrative, program or grant proposal, white paper or policy analysis, or program evaluation
For full course descriptions, please see the Drexel University Course Catalog.
How to Apply to the Master's of Science in Creativity and Innovation
The Master's of Science in Creativity and Innovation program is a 100% online degree program. Students can get started by filling out the Drexel Online Application.