The Alumni Association Throughout the Years
This is a multi-page exhibit of historical documents from the College of Medicine Legacy Center. Page through sequentially or use the left-hand navigation to go to specific sections.
curated by Theana Noelle Kastens
This exhibit is sponsored by the Drexel University College of Medicine Alumni Association with generous support from the Dr. Kate Campbell Hurd-Mead Fund.
For over 145 years the Alumni Associations of Woman’s/Medical College of Pennsylvania (W/MCP) and Hahnemann University (Hahnemann) have been pillars of strength for their alumni. In that period, the Associations were undergoing interwoven transformations as two illustrious schools were brought together under the umbrella of Drexel University.
The Alumni Associations offered stability throughout the histories and evolutions of the predecessor schools by funding educational endeavors that boosted opportunities for students, amplifying alumni voices over concerns about the schools and the profession, supporting war efforts, and establishing academic and social opportunities to connect alumni and support their work. Time and time again, as the institutions faced challenges and growth, the Alumni Associations consistently came to the defense of their alma maters by providing support to their communities.
The Call for Organization
Woman’s/Medical College of Pennsylvania
The Alumnae/i Association of Woman’s/Medical College of Pennsylvania was formed on March 11, 1875, emerging as one of the first medical societies solely made up of women. Under the leadership of Drs. Emeline H. Cleveland and Mary J. Scarlett-Dixon, the Association was established to advance and recognize women in medicine and for the mutual benefit of the school and its alumnae. At the first annual meeting in 1876, the Association had 32 dues-paying members; by 1900, that number increased exponentially, with 335 dues-paying memberships.
Portrait of Emeline H. Cleveland
Transactions of the Second Annual Meeting of the Alumnae Association of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania
Portrait of Mary J. Scarlett-Dixon
Go to Educational Advancement at WMCP
Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia
The Alumni Association of Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia was formed on October 23, 1884, after a call for a formal organization was circulated to all alumni. The purpose of the Association was to promote the interests of the school along with the advancement of homeopathic medicine and to uphold the longstanding traditions of their alma mater. In January of 1885, the Association had received over 135 applicants, and by 1901 membership had increased to 1,375.
October 20, 1884, Permanent Secretary W.W. Van Baun wrote to all alumni the following letter:
“Dear Doctor: You are requested to meet a number of the graduates of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania and of the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia, at the rooms of the Homeopathic Library Association, No 1009 Arch Street, Philadelphia, on Thursday, October 23, 1884, at 9 P.M. For the purpose of taking into consideration the organization of an Alumni Association, the object of which shall be to promote the interests and extend the influence of our Alma Mater: to advance a higher medical education, and to secure intellectual and social benefit. The influence of your presence and advice is needed to make the movement a success. Fraternally yours, W.W. Van Baun”
A Call for Organization letter written by Alumni Association Secretary W.W. Van Baun
Second Annual Banquet of the Alumni Association of the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia
Handwritten minutes from the first meeting of the Alumni Association, October 23, 1884
Go to Educational Advancement at Hahnemann
Back to Top