Christopher Weyant, PhD has been a Teaching Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Drexel University since 2019. He joined the department in 2011 as Associate Teaching Professor. Prior to joining Drexel, he was an Assistant Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at Stony Brook University, specializing in thermally sprayed coatings in systems related to energy, corrosion, and biomaterials. He also conducted thermal spray research during postdoctoral experiences at Northwestern University and Sandia National Laboratories. In addition to his experience in academia, Weyant has worked as a researcher and materials engineer at Honeywell Aerospace and Capstone Turbine Corporation. He earned his doctorate from Northwestern University, MS from the University of Virginia, and BS from Pennsylvania State University.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, 2004
- MS, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Virginia, 1999
- BS, with honors in Engineering Science, Pennsylvania State University, 1996
Areas of Study
- "Evidence-Based Teaching Award in Undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Education" Drexel University, 2020
- “Barbara Hornum Award for Teaching Excellence” Drexel University, 2019
- “Outstanding Faculty Award” Graduate Student Association, 2017
- “Outstanding Teaching Award” Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering, Drexel University, 2012 and 2017
- “Outstanding Service Award” Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering, Drexel University, 2016
- “STEM Education Travel Award” CASTLE at Drexel University, 2015
- “Outstanding Online Faculty Award in the College of Engineering” Drexel University, 2013
- R. J. Marino, C. M. Weyant, and B. B. Terranova, “Probability and Statistics – Early Exposure in the Engineering Curriculum,” ASEE First Year Engineering Education Conference Proceedings, July 2019.
- B. Terranova, C. M. Weyant, S. Wrenn, Y. Kim, L. Khuon, K. Imhoff, K. Ayers, A. Kontsos, L. Hrebien and J. Mitchell, “Work in Progress: Curriculum Revision to Support Blended Project-Based Learning in First-Year General Engineering Laboratory Courses,” ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, June 2017.
- D. Zois, T. Wentz, R. Dey, S. Sampath, and C. M. Weyant, “Simplified Model for Description of HVOF NiCr Coating Properties Through Experimental Design and Diagnostic Measurements,” Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Vol. 22 (2-3), (p. 299-315) 2013.
- L. Li, X. Lu, Y. Meng, and C. M. Weyant, “Comparison study of biomimetic strontium-doped calcium phosphate coatings by electrochemical deposition and air plasma spray: Morphology, composition and bioactive performance,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, Vol. 23 (10), (p. 2359-2368) 2012.
- G. Bolelli, V. Cannillo, L. Lusvarghi, R. Rosa, A. Valarezo, W. B. Choi, R. Dey, C. Weyant and S. Sampath, “Functionally graded WC-Co/NiAl HVOF coatings for damage tolerance, wear and corrosion protection,” Surface & Coatings Technology, Vol. 206 (8-9), (p. 2585-601) 2012.
- C. Weyant and S. Sampath, “Engineering Thermal Spray Coatings for Bridge Repair and Reclamation,” Advanced Materials & Processes, Vol. 169 (5), (p. 64-65) 2011. • C. M. Weyant, J. Almer, and K. T. Faber, “Through-Thickness Determination of Phase Composition and Residual Stresses in Thermal Barrier Coatings Using High-Energy X-rays,” Acta Materialia, Vol. 58 (3), 2010
- B. J. Harder, J. Almer, C. M. Weyant, K. N. Lee, and K. T. Faber, “Residual Stress Analysis of Multilayer Environmental Barrier Coatings,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 92 (2), 2009.