Degrees / Education
- PhD, Chemical Engineering, Drexel University, 1973
- MS, Chemical Engineering, Drexel University, 1971
- BS, Chemical Engineering, IIT (Madras, India), 1969
Cantilever sensors for biological detection.
Modeling of resonance .
Dynamics of fluid-solid interactions.
Mechanics and related phenomena in biological binding and interaction
- Elected Fellow of AIChE, AIMBE, AAAS (2001, 2006, 2011)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India, 2012
- Editorial Board, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology (2008 - )
- Editorial Board, Sensors Letters (2007-09)
- Drexel University Research Award, 1987; 2003
- Reported in: Discoveries and Breakthroughs in Science
- Johnson, B.; Mutharasan, R. Biosensor-based MicroRNA Detection: Techniques, Design, Performance, and Challenges. Analyst 2014, 139 (7), 1576 - 1588.
- Johnson, B.; Mutharasan, R. Reduction of nonspecific protein adsorption on cantilever biosensors caused by transverse resonant mode vibration. Analyst 2014, 139 (5), 1112 - 1120.
- Rosario, R.; Mutharasan, R. Piezoelectric excited millimeter sized cantilever sensors for measuring gas density changes. Sens. Actuators, B 2014, 192, 99-104.
- Johnson, B. N.; Mutharasan, R. Electrochemical piezoelectric-excited millimeter-sized cantilever (ePEMC) for simultaneous dual transduction biosensing. Analyst 2013, 138 (21), 6365 - 6371.
- Sharma, H.; R. Mutharasan. hlyA gene-based sensitive detection of Listeria monocytogenes using a novel cantilever sensor. Anal. Chem. 2013, 85(6), 3222-3228.