Kathryn A. Meier, Ph.D., MBA, was named Assistant Dean for Drexel Engineering in 2019. A leader in strategic agility and executive communications, she holds over 16 years of experience in higher education administration combined with periods in the pharmaceutical and nonprofit industries. Since joining the college in this inaugural role, she accelerated the creation and launch of the Drexel Engineering strategic plan, Building on Tradition for Tomorrow: Engineering Our Future Together, and expanded marketing and communications operations in support of all departments. She advises the dean and senior leadership team on key initiatives critical to the college, manages crisis and COVID communications, and continues to guide the implementation of strategic projects. Meier’s role also includes building bridges and connecting Drexel Engineering in collaborations across campus, including advancing corporate partnerships, recruitment and alumni relations. Related, she represents the college on the Drexel Solutions Institute Internal Council and manages industry relationships, including support of the Dean’s Executive Advisory Council, the Drexel Engineering Alumni Industry Board and the Drexel Engineering Inclusion, Diversity and Equity Alumni Advisory Board.
Meier currently serves at Drexel on the President’s Executive Council, University Communications Coronavirus/Crisis Committee, and as deputy on the President’s Corporate Engagement Council and the Provost’s Academic Council. She is a member of the Drexel Engineering Research Advisory Committee, the college’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee and KEEN Team. She is actively involved in Drexel 2030, serving on the Internal Communications and Digital Infrastructure Imperative Team and as subcommittee co-chair for Internal Communications Strategy, as well as on the Partnerships Imperative Team and as liaison for Enhancing and Expanding Quality Immersive Learning Experiences. She is a member of the Association for Business Communication and served as chair of the digital media subcommittee of marketing and membership from 2017 to 2020. She is currently a member of the Johnson & Johnson Bridge to Employment (BTE) Core Management Team as well as the BTE Advisory Committee.
Prior to Drexel, Meier held administrative and communications roles at the University of Delaware, most recently serving as inaugural chief of staff in the College of Arts and Sciences. There, her portfolio of work for UD's largest college of 8,100 students, 600 faculty, and over 70,000 alumni ranged from engaging external partners to managing high-profile events to negotiating processes of cultural change. She held a secondary appointment as an adjunct Assistant Professor, and taught undergraduate courses in Business Administration and in English, and has a long record of mentoring and advising students.
Meier holds doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees, all from UD, and is an alumna of the HERS Leadership Institute, an intensive leadership and management development program for women in higher education administration.
Outside of work, she serves as a volunteer and hospice foster with Senior Dog Haven and Hospice of Wilmington, Del.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, English (Business Communication), University of Delaware
- MBA, University of Delaware Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics
- BA, English/Business and Technical Writing, University of Delaware
- Building Strategic Agility Certificate, Duke CE
- HERS Leadership Institute, Higher Education Resource Services, Bryn Mawr College
Business communication, professional writing, organizational storytelling; narrative impact in creating and maintaining corporate identity, brand, and reputation; management and organizational behavior
- College & University Public Relations & Associated Professionals CUPPIE Award: COVID-19/Wild Card for College Commencement Website (Team), 2021
- College & University Public Relations & Associated Professionals CUPPIE Award: E-Newsletters for Drexel Engineering Newsletter (Team), 2021
- College & University Public Relations & Associated Professionals CUPPIE Award, E-Newsletters for Drexel Engineering News, 2020
- National Federation of Press Women First Place Award, Electronic Newsletter-Nonprofit, Government, Educational, 2019
- Delaware Press Association First Place Award, Web and Social Media- Electronic Newsletter, 2019
- Association for Business Communication Award for Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation, 2017
- University of Delaware “UDeserve It” Certificate for Outstanding Service, 2017
- National Federation of Press Women First Place Award, PR Materials-Newsletters, 2016
- National Federation of Press Women Second Place Award, PR Materials-Brochures, 2016
- Delaware Press Association First Place Award, Brochures-Educational, 2016
- Delaware Press Association First Place Award, Newsletters-Educational, 2016
- University of Delaware Ten-Year Service Award, 2016
- University of Delaware Outstanding Adviser "YoUDee" Leadership Award, 2013
- University of Delaware Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics MBA Alumni Leadership Award, 2006
- University of Delaware Woman of Promise Certificate of Distinction, 2003
Authored over 350 news releases, magazine features and creative publications with select items picked up in national and international media outlets.
- “Best Practices for Working Remotely: Preparedness for COVID-19 Impact.” Drexel University College of Engineering, Philadelphia, PA, March 12 & 13, 2020.
- “Crafting Your Personal Brand.” UNIDEL/UD College of Arts and Sciences Competitive Graduate Student Global Research Grant Public Engagement Workshop, Newark, DE, November 30, 2018.
- “Designing Your Future: English Majors Write Career Success.” (Panelist) Society of Technical Communicators, Newark, DE, November 9, 2017.
- “University Communications: Insights, Storytelling and Collaborations.” Delaware Public Humanities Institute, Newark, DE, June 7, 2016.
- “University and College Communications: Current Landscape and Trending Topics.” Delaware Public Humanities Institute, Newark, DE, June 2, 2015.