BiographyHsuan’s research area includes geosynthetics, plastic pipes, nanocomposite materials, and recycled materials (plastics and waste glass and coal ash).
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Materials Science, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 1985
- BSc, Materials Science, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom, 1981
Modeling the chemical and mechanical degradation mechanisms for polymeric structural materials, Service life prediction of geosynthetics and plastic pipes, Engineering performance of recycle plastics, Nanoclay polyethylene composite
Areas of Study
- Balapour, M., Rao, R., Garboczi, E.J., Spatari, S., Husan, Y.G., Billen, P., Farnam, Y. (2020) “Thermochemical principles of the production of lightweight aggregates from waste coal bottom ash”, Journal of American Ceramic Society, 104, pp. 613-634. (Best Paper 2020)
- Long K. Nguyen, Sukjoon Na, Y. Grace Hsuan, Sabrina Spatari, (2020), “Uncertainty in the Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Costs of HDPE Pipe Alternatives”, Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 154, pp. 104602.
- Siavash Vahidi, Grace Hsuan, Adel ElSafty, (2020), “Predicting the Depletion of Antioxidants in High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) under Sunlight using the Reciprocity Law”, Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 48, pp. 170-175.
- Balapour, M., Zhao, W., Garboczi, E.J., Oo, N.Y., Spatari, S., Husan, Y.G., Billen, P., Farnam, Y. (2020) “Potential Use of Lightweight Aggregate (LWA) Produced from Bottom Ash for Internal Curing of Concrete Systems”, Cement and Concrete Composites, 105, 130428.
- Sukjoon Na, Nguyen Long, Sabrina Spatari, Yick G. Hsuan (2018) “Effects of Recycled HDPE and Nanoclay on Stress Cracking of HDPE through Correlating Jc with Slow Crack Growth”, Polymer Engineering and Science, Vol. 58, Issue 9,1471-1478.
- Koerner, R.M., Hsuan, Y.G., and Koerner, G.R. (2017) “Lifetime Predictions of Exposed Geotextiles and Geomembranes” Geosynthetics International, Vol. 24, Issue 2, 198-212. (Honorable Mention in 2017 best paper)
- Pieter Billen, Matteo Mazzotti, Lieven Pandelaers, Nay Ye Oo, Weijin Zhao, Zhuangzhuang Liu, James Redus, Ivan Diaz Loya, Ivan Bartoli, Yaghoob Farnam, Sabrina Spatari, Y. Grace Hsuan, (2018), “Melt ceramics from coal ash: Constitutive product design using thermal and flow properties”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 132, 168-177.
- Long Nguyen, Grace Y. Hsuan, Sabrina Spatari (2017) “Life Cycle Economic and Environmental Implications of Pristine High Density Polyethylene and Sustainable Materials in Drainage Pipe Application”, Journal of Polymers and the Environment, Vol. 25, Issue 3, pp 925-947.
- Sukjoon Na, Sabrina Spatari, Yick G. Hsuan (2016) “Fracture characterization of recycled high density polyethylene/nanoclay composites using the essential work of fracture concept”, Polymer Engineering and Science, Volume 56, Issue 2, pp. 222–232.
- Sukjoon Na, Sabrina Spatari, Yick G. Hsuan (2015) “Fracture characterization of Pristine/Post-consumer HDPE blends using the essential work of fracture (EWF) concept and extended finite element method (XFEM)”, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Volume 139, pp. 1-17.