High performance design, construction, and operation of the built environment is critical to managing climate change and air pollution effects. My research, teaching, and service are related to energy conservation and sustainability, spanning the scale of a single building to the network of built infrastructures that characterize a city. I focus on how buildings and humans are connected, how to optimize the interactions between different building systems, and how occupants use and are impacted by buildings. Currently, my research is centered around three main topics – integrated analysis for quantifying urban metabolism, computational analysis for climate-resilient building design, and indoor environmental analysis for optimizing occupant well-being.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Design Methods & Theories, University of California Berkeley, 2006
- M.Arch., First Professional Design degree, University of California Berkeley, 2003
- MS, Computational Analysis, Carnegie Mellon University, 1997
- BA, Civil Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 1996
Urban Metabolism, Climate Resilience, Thermal Comfort
Areas of Study
- ELATES Fellow (Women in engineering leadership training program): 2021-22
- Dr. Mark L. Greenberg Distinguished Faculty Award for Community-Based Learning: 2021
- Engaged Advocate Award, Society of Women Engineers: 2020
- Center for Teaching and Learning Remote Teaching Award: 2020
- Girls Inc. Strong Smart and Bold Honoree, 2018
- Yassaghi, H., Wen, J., and Hoque, S. (2021). Partitioning Climate, Users and Thermophysical Uncertainties from Building Energy Use: A Monte Carlo & ANOVA Approach. Buildings. 12(2): 95.
- Awada, M., Becerik-Gerber, B., White, E., Hoque, S., O'Neill, Z., Pedrielli, G., Wen, J., & Wu, T. (2021). Occupant health in buildings: Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the opinions of building professionals and implications on research, Building and Environment, 207 (A), 108440.
- Mostafavi, M., Fiocchi, J., Dellacasa, M., & Hoque, S. (2021). Resilience of Environmental Policy amidst the Rise of Conservative Populism, Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, 1-16.
- Pang, Z., Bercerik-Gerber, B., Hoque, S. O'Neill, Z., Pedrielli, G., Wen, J., & Wu, T. (2021). How Work from Home has affected the Occupant’s Well-Being in the Residential Built Environment: An International Survey Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic. ASME Journal of Engineering for Sustainable Buildings and Cities. 2(4).
- Mostafavi, N., Heris, M.P., Gándara, F., and Hoque, S. (2021). The Relationship between Urban Density and Building Energy Consumption. Buildings. 11(10): 455.
- Pearsall P., Hoque, S. et al. (2021). Advancing equitable health and well-being across urban-rural sustainable infrastructure systems. npj-Urban Sustainability. 1(1): 26.
- Shams-Amiri, S., Mottahedi, S., Lee, E., and Hoque, S. (2021). Peeking Inside the Black-Box: Explainable machine learning applied to household transportation energy consumption. Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems. 88:101647
- Yassaghi, H., & Hoque, S. (2021). Impact Assessment in the Process of Propagating Climate Change Uncertainties into Building Energy Use. Energies, 14(2), 367.
- Awada, M., Becerik-Gerber, B., Hoque, S., O'Neill, Z., Pedrielli, G., Wen, J., & Wu, T. (2021). Ten questions concerning occupant health in buildings during normal operations and extreme events including the COVID-19 pandemic. Building and Environment, 188, 107480.
- DeCarolis, J. F., Jaramillo, P., Johnson, J. X., McCollum, D. L., Trutnevyte, E., Daniels, D. C., Hoque, S., … Zhou, Y. (2020). Leveraging Open-Source Tools for Collaborative Macro-energy System Modeling Efforts. Joule, 4(12), 2523-2526.
- Yassaghi, H., Gurian P.L., and Hoque, S. (2020). Propagating Downscaled Future Weather File Uncertainties into Building Energy Use. Applied Energy 278: 115655.
- Shams-Amiri, S., Mostafavi, N., Lee, E., and Hoque, S. (2020). Machine Learning Approaches for Predicting Household Transportation Energy Use. City and Environment Interactions: 100044.
- Yassaghi, H. and Hoque, S. (2019). An Overview of Climate Change and Building Energy: Performance, Responses and Uncertainties. Buildings. 9(7): 166.
- Yassaghi, H., Mostafavi, N., and Hoque, S. (2019). Evaluation of current and future hourly weather data intended for building designs: a Philadelphia case study. Energy and Buildings. 199, 491-511.
- Farzinmoghadam, M., Mostafavi, N., Hamin, E., and Hoque S. (2019). Developing an automated method for the application of LIDAR in IUMAT Land-use Model: Analysis of land-use changes using building form parameterization, GIS, and Artificial Neural Networks. Journal of Green Building. 14(1), 1-30.
- Mostafavi, N., Gandara, F., and Hoque, S.* (2018). Predicting Water Consumption from Energy Data: Modeling the residential energy and water nexus in the Integrated Urban Metabolism Analysis Tool (IUMAT). Energy and Buildings. 158, 1683-1693.
- Mostafavi, N., Shojaei, H.R., Beheshtian, A., and Hoque, S.* (2018). Residential Water Consumption Modeling in the Integrated Urban Metabolism Analysis Tool (IUMAT). Resources, Conservation, and Recycling. 131, 64-74.
- Mostafavi, N., Farzinmoghadam, M., and Hoque, S.* (2017). Urban Residential Energy Consumption Modeling in the Integrated Urban Metabolism Analysis Tool (IUMAT). Building and Environment. 114(0), 429-442.
- Hoque, S. and Weil, B. (2016). The relationship between comfort perceptions and academic performance in university classroom buildings. Journal of Green Building, 11(1), 108-117.
- Hoque, S. and Iqbal, N. (2015). Building to Net Zero in a Developing World. Buildings, 5(1), 56-68.
- Mostafavi, N., Farzinmoghadam, M., and Hoque, S.* (2014). A Framework for Integrated Urban Metabolism Analysis Tool (IUMAT). Building and Environment, 82(0), 702-712.
- Beauregard, S., Fisette, P. Weil, B. and Hoque, S.* (2014). Is Boston Building Better: An evaluation of green building policy. Journal of Green Building, 9(3), 131-150.
- Mostafavi, N., Farzinmoghadam, M., and Hoque, S.* (2013). Envelope Retrofit Analysis using eQuest, IESVE Revit Plug-in and Green Building Studio: a University Dormitory Case Study. Journal of Sustainable Energy, 1-20.
- Mostafavi, N., Farzinmoghadam, M., Weil, B., and Hoque, S.* (2013). Integrated Urban Metabolism Analysis Tool (IUMAT). Urban Policy and Research, 1-17.