Degrees / Education
- PhD, Drexel University, 1995
- MS, Electrical Engineering, Drexel University
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Drexel University
Modeling and simulation of electro-mechanical systems; pptimal, adaptive and non-linear control; DC motor control; system identification; kalman filters (smoothing algorithms, tracking); image processing; robot design; biometric technology and design of embedded systems for control applications utilizing MATLAB and SIMULINK
Dr. Chmielewski has over 35 years’ industrial experience with roles ranging from individual contributor, engineering manager, director, Intellectual Property Officer, CEO, and company owner. He has worked for well-established international companies as well as startups. His most recent industrial activities include:
- System Identification and Fault Detection Techniques for flight simulators
- Selection and validation of motors and drives for servo actuators used in UAVs
- Design, modeling and simulation of the motion control systems for a blood analysis machine with the end result the implementation of control algorithms in real time embedded systems
- Analysis of image processing algorithms utilized in image comparison
As of September 2011, he has been employed as a full time Assistant Teaching Professor for the College of Engineering. He has taught in various roles at Drexel University since 1980. He has taught senior and junior level courses in:
- Classical and Modern Control Theory
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
- Modulation and Coding
- Transform Theory
- Electric Machinery Principles
In addition, Dr. Chmielewski has taught graduate level courses in:
- Nonlinear Control
- Adaptive Control
- Stochastic Control
- Machine Learning
- Optimal Control
- Fundamentals of Systems sequence
Other courses include the sophomore lecture series in Differential Equations and Linear algebra and the Evaluation and Presentation of Experimental Data sequence. Dr. Chmielewski has also taught Professional Engineering and Engineer in Training review courses.
Dr. Chmielewski has twelve US Patents and four international patents and over twenty-six technical publications. He is the co-author of the text book Robotic Engineering An Integrated Approach, published by Prentice Hall (Feb. '89).
He is a member of Tau Beta Pi and ETA KAPPA NU and has served on the Temple University Industrial Advisory Board and was the IEEE Region 2 chair for employment assistance activities and career development (2003, 2004).
Dr. Chmielewski provides consulting in the fields of control systems, image processing, and the application of MATLAB and SIMULINK.