Capps leads the Atmospheric Modeling @ Drexel group, which conducts outdoor air quality modeling to estimate influences of emissions sources; evaluate health, ecosystem and climate impacts of pollutants; and assimilate satellite-based observations to improve models.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2013
- BE, Chemical Engineering, Vanderbilt University, 2007
Atmospheric chemistry, data assimilation, advanced sensitivity analysis, inverse modeling
Areas of Study
- NSF CAREER Award, 2020
- NASA New Investigator Award, 2018
- Bartels Endowed Faculty Development Fund, 2017
- Lyu, C., Capps, S.L., Kurashima, K., Henze, D.K., Pierce, G., Hakami, A., Zhao, S., Resler, J., Carmichael, G.R., Sandu, A., Russell, A.G., Chai, T., Milford, J., 2021. Evaluating oil and gas contributions to ambient nonmethane hydrocarbon mixing ratios and ozone-related metrics in the Colorado Front Range. Atmospheric Environment 246, 118113.
- Lyu, C.*, Capps, S. L., Hakami, A., Zhao, S., Resler, J., Carmichael, G. R., Sandu, A., Russell, A. G., Chai, T., and Henze, D.: Elucidating emissions control strategies for ozone to protect human health and public welfare within the continental United States, Environmental Research Letters, https://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/ab5e05, 2019.
- Capps, S. L., C. T. Driscoll, H. Fakhraei, P. H. Templer, K. J. Craig, J. B. Milford, and K. F. Lambert (2016), Estimating potential productivity co-benefits for crops and trees from reduced ozone with U.S. coal power plant carbon standards, J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 121.
- Zhu, L., D. K. Henze, J. O. Bash, K. E. Cady-Pereira, M. W. Shephard, M. Luo, S. L. Capps: Sources and impacts of atmospheric NH3: Current understanding and frontiers for modeling, measurements, and remote sensing in North America, Current Pollution Reports,1 (2), 95--116.
- Capps, S. L., Henze, D. K., Hakami, A., Russell, A. G., and Nenes, A.: ANISORROPIA: the adjoint of the aerosol thermodynamic model ISORROPIA, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 527-543, doi:10.5194/acp-12-527-2012, 2012.
- Capps, S. L., Y. Hu, and A. G. Russell, “Assessing Near-Field and Downwind Impacts of Reactivity-Based Substitutions”, Journal of Air and Waste Management, 60 (3), 316-327, 2010.