Dr. Atchison is an Assistant Teaching Professor and Senior Design Coordinator in the Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics Department at Drexel University. She completed her Post-Doctoral studies at the INM Leibniz Institute for New Materials in Saarbruecken Germany, where she exercised her entrepreneurial muscles in the INM-Innovation Center leading a small team on a pilot project to scale-up a custom designed needleless electrospinning process for depositing conductive transparent nanofiber webs on roll to roll system. Her work resulted in a patent and was featured at the 2017 Hannover Messe, in Hannover Germany and the 2017 International Exhibition and Conference for the Printed Electronics Industry (LOPEC) in Munich, Germany. Jennifer completed her Ph.D. at Drexel University in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering in 2012 under the supervision of Professor Caroline Schauer and she is an avid hiker and singer.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Materials Science and Engineering, Drexel University, 2012
- BS, Materials Engineering, Drexel University, 2000
Areas of Study
- Planz, Viktoria; Seif, Salem; Atchison, Jennifer S.; Vukosavljevic, Branko; Sparenberg, Lisa; Kroner, Elmar; Windbergs, Maike. Three-dimensional hierarchical cultivation of human skin cells on bio-adaptive hybrid fibers. Integrative Biology. 2016, 8, 775-784. DOI: 10.1039/C61B00080K
- Atchison, Jennifer S.; Zeiger, Marco; Tolosa, Aura; Funke, Lena M.; Jäckel, Nicolas; Presser, Volker. Electrospinning of ultra-fine metal carbide/carbon nanocomposite fibers. RSC Advances, 2015, 5 (45), 35683-35692. DOI: 10.1039/C5RA05409E
- Porada, S.; Borchardt, L.; Oschatz, M.; Bryjak, M.; Atchison, Jennifer S.; Keesman, K .J.; Kaskel, S.; Biesheuvel, P. M.; Presser, Volker. Direct Prediction of the Desalination Performance of Porous Carbons for Capacitive Deionization. Energy and Environmental Science, 2013, 6, 3700-3712. DOI: 10.1039/C3EE42209G.
- Atchison, Jennifer S.; Stoy, Willam; Kots, Joy; Holt, Paul; Doughty, Myra; Tadros, Danielle; Gogotsi, Yuri; Schauer, Caroline, L. Exploring Nanotechnology with Electrospinning: Design, Experiment and Discover. Proceedings of the American Society of Engineering Education, San Antonio, TX June 10-13, 2012.
- Atchison, Jennifer S.; Holmes-Stanley, Dorothea; Fontecchio, Adam; Fromm, Eli. Using Graphic Novels to Communicate Engineering Experiences in an Urban Middle School. Proceedings of the American Society of Engineering Education, Louisville, KY June 20-23, 2010.