Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Epidemiology and Biostatistics
MD, Shanxi Medical University; MSc in Epidemiology, The University of London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; PhD in Epidemiology, The University of Hong Kong; and MD Postdoctoral Fellowship in Geriatrics, The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
Dr. Longjian Liu is a tenured professor of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, and the former Interim Chair of the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health at Drexel University Dornsife School of Public Health. He is also an adjunct professor of medicine at Drexel University College of Medicine. Prior to joining Drexel, Dr. Liu had training, teaching and research experience in medicine, epidemiology and biostatistics in leading universities of China (Shanxi Med Univ., Chongqing Med Univ., and Beijing Med Univ.), of the United Kingdom (LSHTM), Japan (SUMS, and Kyoto Univ.), and the United States (UAMS). Dr. Liu has been elected a Fellow of the American Heart Association (FAHA) in 2008.
Dr. Liu teaches five courses for undergraduate and graduate students: (1) EPI 552 Epidemiology for Public Health Practice, (2) EPI 557 Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention, (3) EPI 559 Pharmacoepidemiology, (4) EPI 572 Design and Analyses of Epidemiologic Studies, and (5) PBHL 310 Burden of Disease. He led the Chapter of Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology in the textbook, "Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Prevention and Control," a standard textbook coordinated by the American Public Health Association (3rd Ed., 2010, and 4th Ed., 2016). He also published a textbook, entitled "Heart Failure: Epidemiology and Research Methods"(1st Ed. ELSEVIER 2017).
Dr. Liu's research has focused on epidemiology of diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease, aging-related neurodegenerative disorders, and biomarkers, and lifestyle - drug interactions on disease. He has extensive research experience in working with regional, national and international large-scale surveys, clinical trials and hospital electronic health records. Dr. Liu has more than 70 articles published in more than 45 peer-reviewed journals that reach a total Impact Factor score more than 170. The overarching goal of his research is to translate research findings to disease and risk factor control and prevention. His research covers three integrated areas:
1) Global Cardiometabolic Health: Has participated in the World Health Organization (WHO) - Cardiovascular Disease and Alimentary Comparison (WHO-CARDIAC) Study and the WHO – World Health Surveys (WHS), and Japan National Integrated Project for Prospective Observation of Non-communicable Disease and Its Trends in Aged (NIPPON DATA). Dr. Liu is the Principal Investigator of Drexel (US) - SARI (China) research and Education project on Climate Change, Energy, Low-Carbon, and Urban Health Technology.
2) Epidemiology of Aging: Focusing on biomarkers, lifestyle-drug interaction and social determinants of hypertension, heart disease, stroke, cognitive and neurodegenerative disorders in aging population. Dr. Liu was the Principal Investigator for the study of environmental (E) and drugs, and E - drugs interaction on the risk of cardiovascular disease in patients with diabetes mellitus.
3) Disease and Risk Factors Surveillance and Precision Public Health: Built upon Big-Data, including regional and national surveys and health electronic records system, these research activities address real-time health problems, applying IT techniques and advanced biostatistics methods, clustering, forest trees and machine learning to identify high risk groups and develop prediction models of disease.
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Environmental Exposures
- Global health or International health
- Health Disparities
- Infectious Disease
- Neurodevelopment and Neurologic disorders
- Spatial Analysis or GIS
- Urban Health
- Air Quality and Urban Health in China
- Health Failure Epidemiology
Ten top publications:
- Longjian Liu, Kathleen M. Hayden, Nathalie S. May, Bernhard Haring, Zuolu Liu, Victor W. Henderson, Jiu-Chiuan Chen, Edward J Gracely, Sylvia Wassertheil-Smoller, and Stephen R. Rapp: Association Between Blood Pressure Levels and Cognitive Impairment in Older Women: A Prospective Analysis of The Women’s Health Initiative Memory Study. The Lancet Healthy Longevity, Jan 2022 PubMed, PMID: 35112096.
- Longjian Liu, Stella L. Volpe, Jennifer A Ross, Elisabeth J Van Bockstaele, and Howard J Eisen: Dietary Sugar Intake and Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease in Older Women. 2021 June, Nutritional Neuroscience. PubMed PMID 34328409.
- Longjian Liu, Joao Lima, Wendy S Post, and Moyses Szklo: Association of obesity and metabolic syndrome with risk of heart failure and its subtypes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. International Journal of Cardiology, June 2021, PubMed PMID: 34089770.
- Longjian Liu, Fengge Wang, Edward J Gracely, Kari Moore, Steven Melly, Fengqing Zhang, Priscila Y Sato, and Howard J Eisen: Burden of Uncontrolled Hyperglycemia and Its Association with Patients Characteristics and Socioeconomic Status in Philadelphia, USA. (journal) Health Equity, December 2020;4:525-532. PubMed PMC: 8175259 .
- Longjian Liu, Liviu Klein; Charles Eaton; Gurusher Panjrath; Lisa Warsinger Martin; Claudia U. Chae; Philip Greenland; Donald M Lloyd-Jones; Jean Wactawski-Wende; and JoAnn E. Manson: Menopausal Hormone Therapy and Risks of First Hospitalized Heart Failure and Its Subtypes During the Intervention and Extended Postintervention Follow-up of the Women’s Health Initiative Randomized Trials. Journal Cardiac Failure, 2020 26(1)2-12. PubMed PMID: 3156806.
- Longjian Liu, Katsuyuki Miura, Aya Kadota, Akira Fujiyoshi, Ming Chen, Fuzhong Xue, Naoyuki Takashima, Naoko Miyagawa, Takayoshi Ohkubo, Hisatomi Arima, Akira Okayama, Tomonori Okamura, Hirotsugu Ueshima: The Impact of Sex on Risk of Cardiovascular Disease and All-cause Mortality in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus: A Comparison between the U.S. and Japan. J Diabetes and Its Complications, 2019;33(6):417-423, PubMed, PMID: 31003923.
- Longjian Liu, Xiaoyan Yin, Ming Chen, Hong Jia, Howard J. Eisen and Albert Hofman: Geographic Variation in Heart Failure Mortality and Its Association with Hypertension, Diabetes, and Behavioral-Related Risk Factors in 1723 Counties of the United States. Frontier in Public Health, 2018, 6,132:1-10. PubMed PMID: 29868540.
- Longjian Liu, Xuan Yang, Yong Long, Arshpreet Kaur Mallhi, Kathan Mehta, Erol Veznedaroglu, Xiaoyan Yin: Changes in the prevalence of hospitalization and comorbidity in US adults with stroke: A three decade cross-sectional and birth cohort analysis. International Journal of Stroke, 2016 11(9):987-998. PMID: 27412189. PubMed.
- Longjian Liu, Jennifer A Nettleton, Alain G Bertoni, David A Bluemke, João A Lima, and Moyses Szklo: Dietary pattern, the metabolic syndrome, and left ventricular mass and systolic function: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2009 Aug;90(2):362-8. PMID: 19515735. PubMed.
- Longjian Liu, Craig J. Newschaffer, and Julianne Nelson, Patrick L. Remington, Ross C. Brownson, and Mark V. Wegner: Chapter 15: Cardiovascular Disease in APHA coordinated textbook: Chronic Disease Epidemiology, Prevention, and Control, 4th edition, 2016, APHA Press..
Peer-reviewed articles in google scholar:
EPI 552: Epidemiology for Public Health Practice
EPI 557: Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention
EPI 559: Pharmacoepidemiology
EPI 572: Design and Analyses of Epidemiologic Studies
EPI 580: Epidemiology in Developing Countries
PBHL 310: Burden of Disease
Advisor for MPH and PhD students’ research theses and dissertations