Community Health and Prevention
BA, Psychology, Grinnell College; MHS, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health; PhD, University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health
Ali Groves, MHS, PhD is committed to promoting social justice and decreasing gender inequalities in health through multilevel interventions. She has engaged in interventions and research across a diverse array of settings and her work focuses on the social and structural factors that perpetuate poor sexual and reproductive health across the globe. Throughout her career, she has paid particular attention to understanding and addressing the high burden of HIV infection and intimate partner violence (IPV) among women in sub-Saharan Africa. She uses both qualitative and quantitative research methods in her research and interventions.
- Reproductive or Sexual Health
- Maternal and Child Health
- Global Health
- Data Analysis Methods
- Groves A.K., Vadaketh J.*, Raziano, V.R. *, Nkwihoreze H., Short W., Momplaisir F. PrEP Acceptability among Pregnant Women in the United States and Implications for HIV Prevention in Clinical Practice. In press at Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Groves A.K., Gebrekristos L.G.*, Smith P.S.*, Stoebenau K., Stoner M.C.D., Ameyan W., Ezeh A. Adolescent mothers in Eastern and Southern Africa: an overlooked and uniquely vulnerable subpopulation in the fight against HIV. In press at Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Groves, A.K., Bhushan N.L., Stoner M.C.D., Kahn K., Gómez-Olivé X., Pettifor A.E., HIV and Herpes Simplex Virus 2 incidence among Adolescent Mothers in South Africa: A Longitudinal Analysis of HIV Prevention Trials Network 068 Data. Available online 25 November 2021 JAIDS. 10.1097/QAI.0000000000002872
- Groves A.K., Gebrekristos, L.T.*, McNaughton Reyes L., Moodley D., Raziano V.*, Maman S. A mixed-methods study of resilience and return to school among adolescent mothers in South Africa. 6 Aug 2021 Global Public Health.
- Groves, A.K. Niccolai L.M., Keene L.M., Rosenberg, A., Schlesinger P., Blankenship K.M. Housing instability and HIV risk: Expanding our understanding of the impact of eviction and other forced moves. AIDS and Behavior. January 2, 2021; doi: 10.1007/s10461-020-03121-8.
- Groves A.K., McNaughton Reyes L., Gebrekristos, L.T. Moodley D., Maman S. Examining why age-disparate relationships influence unsafe sex postpartum among South African women: relationship control and physical partner violence as explanatory mechanisms Journal of Interpersonal Violence. August 4, 2020. doi: 10.1177/0886260520944531
- Groves A.K., Gebrekristos, L.T.*, McNaughton Reyes L., Moodley D., Maman S. Describing relationship characteristics and postpartum HIV risk among adolescent, young adult and adult women in South Africa. Journal of Adolescent Health 2020 Jan 25. pii: S1054-139X(19)30929-2.
- Groves A.K., Hallfors D.D., Iritani B., Rennie S., Odongo F.S., Kwaro D., Amek N., Luseno W.K.“I think the parent should be there because no one was born alone”: Kenyan adolescents’ perspectives on parental involvement in HIV research African Journal of AIDS Research. 2018; epub Oct.
- Groves A.K., Maman S., Stankard P.H., Gebrekristos L., Amon J.J., Moodley D. Addressing the unique needs of adolescent mothers in the fight against HIV. Journal of the International AIDS Society. 2018; epub June 29.
- Groves A.K., McNaughton-Reyes H.L., Moodley D., Maman S. HIV+ diagnoses during pregnancy increases risk of IPV postpartum among South African women with no history of IPV in their relationship. AIDS and Behavior. 2017; epub July 26.
- Groves A.K., Zhan W., del Rio Gonzalez A.M., Rosenberg A., Blankenship K.M. Dual incarceration and condom use in committed relationships. AIDS and Behavior 2017; Feb 13.
- Groves A.K., Moodley D., McNaughton Reyes L., Martin S.L., Foshee V., Maman S. Prevalence, rates and correlates of intimate partner violence among South African women during pregnancy and the postpartum period. Maternal and Child Health. 2015; 19(3): 487-495.
- Groves A.K., McNaughton Reyes L., Foshee V., Moodley D., Maman S. Relationship factors and trajectories of intimate partner violence among South African women during pregnancy and the postpartum period. PLOS ONE. 2014; 9(9): e106829.
- Groves A.K., Maman S., Moodley D. HIV+ women’s narratives of non-disclosure: resisting the label of immorality. Global Public Health. 2012; 7(8): 799-811.
- Groves A.K., Kagee A., Maman S., Moodley D., Rouse, P. Associations between intimate partner violence and emotional distress among pregnant women in Durban, South Africa. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 2012; 27: 1341-1356.
- Groves A.K., Eyakuze C. South Africa: Durban’s ante-natal clinic environment and its impact on a woman’s choice to test for HIV during pregnancy. HIV/AIDS and Policy Law Review, 2010; 15(1): 49-50
- Groves A.K., Maman S., Msomi S., Makhanya N., Moodley D. The complexity of consent: women's experiences testing for HIV at an antenatal clinic in Durban, South Africa. AIDS Care, 2010, 12:1-7.