Scientific Travel Meeting Subsidy
The Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics offers a limited number of travel subsidies annually to full-time students who are pursuing degrees in Epidemiology or Biostatistics (MS, MPH, or PhD) at the Dornsife School of Public Health.
These funds are available to help support travel for a student presenting a paper or poster at a national conference in their field. The funds can help defray some conference registration and travel costs.
If you are presenting research that is being done in conjunction with a faculty member (whether within or external to the Department), first speak with them to request that your expenses be covered by their grant or discretionary funds before requesting funding from the Department. If the faculty member cannot cover the costs in their entirety, please follow the Departmental travel policy guidelines below.
Awards are competitive and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Travel Subsidy Application Requirements
To apply: Please download and complete this form:
Graduate Student Travel Subsidy Form.
In addition to the completed form, your supporting materials should include:
- Detailed budget
- Student summary of work to be presented
- Supporting letter from research mentor (i.e. the person with whom the research is being conducted)
- Proof of abstract acceptance.
In the supporting letter from the research mentor, please ask that they address the question of availability of funding to help support this travel.
Send your completed Graduate Student Travel Subsidy Form and all supporting materials to Constance Thompson.
Note that awards will only be made after proof of presentation acceptance is provided.
Travel Subsidy Deadlines
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but students are highly encouraged to apply within 2 weeks of being notified that their abstract was accepted.
Guidelines for Requesting a Travel Award
Guidelines for submitting a request include the following:
- Every effort must be made to apply for funds from Drexel's Graduate College for a domestic travel subsidy or Office of Global Engagement for an international travel subsidy.
- Students must be registered for the academic quarter of travel to be eligible for funds (exceptions made for summer conferences)
- Up to $500 of expenses reimbursed for a national/international conference
- Up to $200 of expenses reimbursed for a region conference held within reasonable driving/train distance
- Maximum of one travel award per fiscal year per student (July-June)
- In cases in which the number of travel requests exceeds available funding, the department will consider the number of awards a student has received in previous years
Students will be reimbursed upon submission of receipts from the conference to Constance Thompson, and only expenses allowable by Drexel University policies will be reimbursed.