Scientific Travel Meeting Subsidy
The Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics will offer a limited number of travel subsidies annually to full-time students who are pursuing degrees in Epidemiology or Biostatistics (MS, MPH or PhD). These funds are available to help support travel for a student presenting a paper or poster at a national conference in their field. The funds can help defray some conference registration and travel costs.
If you are presenting research that is being done in conjunction with a Faculty member (whether within or external to the Department), first speak with them to request that your expenses be covered by their grant or discretionary funds before requesting funding from the Department. If the Faculty member cannot cover the costs in their entirety, please follow the Departmental travel policy guidelines below.
Awards are competitive and will be considered on a case-by-case basis. To apply, please fill out the Student Travel Subsidy Application, and submit the materials to Mary Carty (firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition to the application, materials required include: detailed budget, student summary of work to be presented, supporting letter from research mentor (i.e. the person with whom the research is being conducted), and proof of abstract submission. In the supporting letter from the research mentor, please ask that they address the question of availability of funding to help support this travel. Note that awards will only be made after proof of presentation acceptance is provided. Students will be reimbursed upon submission of receipts from the conference to Constance Thompson (email@example.com), and only expenses allowable by Drexel University policies will be reimbursed.
- August 15 for travel between October 1 and January 31
- November 15 for travel between January 1 and April 30
- February 10 for travel between April 1 and July 31
- May 15 for travel between July 1 and October 31
Note that application are accepted on a rolling basis, but may be submitted no later than the deadline above, given the travel date.
Guidelines for award include the following:
- Every effort must be made to apply for funds from the Graduate College (Domestic travel: http://drexel.edu/graduatecollege/research-funding/travelsubsidy/; International travel: http://drexel.edu/oip/research-funding/international-travel-awards/)
- Students must be registered for the academic quarter of travel to be eligible for funds (exceptions made for summer conferences)
- Up to $500 of expenses reimbursed for a national/international conference
- Up to $200 of expenses reimbursed for a region conference held within reasonable driving/train distance
- Maximum of one travel award per fiscal year per student (July-June).
- In cases in which the number of travel requests exceeds available funding, the department will consider the number of awards a student has received in previous years