CCI's Premier Summer Program: Drexel University Digital Development Camp
The Drexel University Digital Development Camp is a three-week in-person summer program led by College of Computing & Informatics (CCI) faculty and student leaders. The 2023 camp session is scheduled for Monday, July 10 through Thursday, July 27, 2023. The camp is open to rising high school sophomores, juniors, seniors and accepted CCI first-year students.
Digital Development Camp students choose between three tracks:
- The FullStack track gives aspiring developers the opportunity to learn about full stack web development. FullStack includes front-end design, human-computer interface and user experience, back end development including data integration. This track includes daily lessons, workshops, guest speakers and individual/group work time. Campers work in teams to plan and develop a web site of their own.
- The Data Science track uses computing for social good as a springboard for student led projects using publicly available data to address relevant issues in a particular community. Student teams will choose a community and issue to address then find data, analyze it, create a data visualization and write a report on the findings. Data science includes statistics, database basics, data analysis tools and effective presentation skills. This track includes daily lessons, workshops, guest speakers and group work time. Campers work in teams to plan and develop a data science project.
- New for 2023: the Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) track provides students with the tools to improve user experience and enable collaborative problem solving among groups. Students will gain an understanding of HCI technologies that support and complement human needs and abilities in context such as work, wellness, home, entertainment and artistic expression.
- Monday, July 10 to Thursday, July 27, 2023 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. EDT (Monday to Thursday) in-person format with a dedicated Blackboard Ultra Classroom for all campers to utilize.
- Cost: $600; lunch and educational supplies are included.
- Beginner friendly; no experience needed.
- Eligibility: Rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors, as well as incoming Drexel CCI students who have interest in (but not limited to) computer science, software engineers, cybersecurity, data science, human-computer interaction and programming.
- A balanced schedule including live instruction, peer collaboration and self-paced project development per day.
- Learn about the College and Drexel during special informational sessions for attendees and parents, with direct access to CCI faculty, professional staff and student leaders.
Click Here to Register
Students in previous Digital Development Camp session reported that they felt more confident in their Web development skills, and were inspired to learn more and pursue studies — and potentially a future career — in computing. Our campers shared the following testimonials about their experience:
- "Coming into this camp, I had a basic understanding of HTML and CSS but had never created a website using the languages. Over the course of this camp, I was able to gain a working knowledge of these languages and feel more comfortable in my ability to succeed in this field. This was especially beneficial because I hope to become a front-end developer in the future."
- "Before I came to this camp, I had only heard of HTML and CSS but personally never used them before. I was really nervous coming to the camp because I wasn’t sure how much I could contribute to the group. However, throughout the two weeks here, I continuously learned more and more through workshops, the counselors, and my teammates, and now feel as though I have a solid foundation in the two languages."
- "Through this camp I learned how to use HTML and CSS in a different way. It was also interesting to learn how to use a different collaborative browser-based IDE to code in other than the one I used in school. I learned a lot more about styling websites and how to make them more user friendly than I had in school as well. Next year I am taking Computer Science III Honors and I will definitely use my new skills to better my websites."
Learn More About Previous Digital Development Camp Projects
For additional information or any questions, please email us at CCISummerPrograms@drexel.edu.