About the Institute for Women's Health & Leadership
Founded in 1993, the Institute was designated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as a vanguard National Center of Excellence in Women's Health in 1996. The Institute continues the medical school's over 160-year commitment to pioneering programs for women in medicine and beyond. The Institute for Women's Health and Leadership functions as a department within the College of Medicine and its director, Lynn H. Yeakel, who holds the Betty A. Cohen Chair in Women's Health, serves on the Executive Committee of the Faculty. It is the only Institute recognized in the medical school's faculty bylaws.
With the overall theme "Making a World of Difference," the Institute pursues its mission to "honor the past, enrich the present and shape the future." It does this by building local, state, national and international relationships that help women lead healthier and more fulfilling lives.
The Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine® program, or ELAM®, works to increase the number and impact of women in academic leadership positions.
Participants in this one-year, part-time fellowship enhance their capacity for leadership and innovation through training in four essential dimensions of leadership:
- Personal and professional leadership effectiveness to address strategic, operational, and relational challenges.
- Strategic finance and resource management to enhance the missions of academic organizations.
- Organizational dynamics to provide strategies for leading, executing, and managing change initiatives.
- Communities of leadership practice to sustain leadership development beyond the fellowship year.
Vision 2020 is a national coalition of organizations and individuals united in their commitment to achieve women's economic and social equality. Vision 2020 does this by advancing an overdue national conversation about the value of women's equality to benefit all and by accelerating shared leadership among women and men to reach a new dimension of American excellence by the year 2020.
- Conversations About Women's Health are fast-paced and interactive expert-led discussions. The panel of doctors — moderated by Lynn Yeakel — answer a wide variety of questions from the audience. These informative and lively programs have resulted in numerous life changing testimonials and have improved the health of women (and the men who love them).
- The Marion Spencer Fay Award is presented in honor of Marion Spencer Fay, PhD, dean and president of Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1946 to 1963. The National Board for Women in Medicine established an award in her name in 1963 to recognize her pioneering leadership. The award includes a $10,000 honorarium.
The call for nominations for the 2017 Marion Spencer Fay Award has closed. The award will be presented in Fall 2017 in Philadelphia.
- The Helen I. Moorehead-Laurencin, MD, Sex and Gender Research Forum is an interactive program that highlights Drexel's multidisciplinary research focused on sex and gender in a local, national and global context.
- The Woman One Award and Scholarship Fund honors annually a woman of outstanding leadership and raises medical scholarships for talented under-represented women at Drexel University College of Medicine.
The Legacy Center: Archives and Special Collections
The Legacy Center is the repository for the records and heritage of Drexel University College of Medicine and its predecessor institutions, including Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania (W/MCP) and Hahnemann University.
Back to Top
News and Announcements
On Monday, April 25, the Institute for Women's Health and Leadership held its 14th Annual Woman One Award Ceremony at the Rittenhouse Hotel, Philadelphia.
In year 2020, Philadelphia will serve as a backdrop for women leaders to convene and celebrate the anniversary of women securing the right to vote.
In the Media
The Kavanaugh case: Trouble for GOP in midterms?
WHYY, September 20, 2018
Allegations against Brett Kavanaugh feel like Anita Hill 2.0. But there are key differences.
Philadelphia Inquirer, September 17, 2018
Vision 2020 press conference on NBC-10
WCAU-TV (NBC-10), September 17, 2018
From 1992 to 2018: The Year of the Woman, Redux
Philadelphia magazine, July 14, 2018
Philly Girls' Chess Match on WPVI-TV
WPVI-TV (6-abc), May 10, 2018
Drexel Honors Trailblazing Scientist at 16th Annual Woman One Ceremony
KYW Newsradio, April 30, 2018
Sex and Gender Research Forum Coverage
March 8, 2018
WPVI-TV (6-abc) | WCAU-TV (NBC-10) | WHYY Radio
How Vision 2020 is working toward gender equality in government and business
Generocity, February 14, 2018
Marion Spencer Fay Award Ceremony Highlighted
KYW-TV (CBS-3), November 14, 2017
Men's Voices for Women
Philadelphia Inquirer, September 21, 2017
Celebrating a Woman's Right to Vote
NBC10, August 26, 2017
National Women's Equality Day
CBS3, August 26, 2017
National Women's Equality Day Celebrations in Old City
FOX29, August 26, 2017
National Women's Equality Day Today Celebrates Woman's Right to Vote
CW, August 26, 2017
Pa. leader in promoting gender equality reflects on progress, challenges
WHYY/Newsworks, May 10, 2017
Woman One Award Ceremony Coverage on 6ABC
April 24, 2017
Woman One Award Ceremony Coverage on PHL 17
April 24, 2017
Woman One: Scholarships to Women on the Rise
NBC 10 (April 19, 2017)
Drexel's Sex and Gender Research Forum
Philadelphia Gay News (March 9, 2017)
Drexel's Sex and Gender Research Forum
WPVI-TV (6-abc) (March 8, 2017)
Getting the (Female) Vote Out Via Vision 2020
Gulf Coast Live, WGCU-FM Radio (March 3, 2017)
Anne Crowley featured in "People on the Move"
The Philadelphia Inquirer (October 31, 2016)
Lynn Yeakel interviewed about Main Line Today's "Women on the Move"
WCAU-TV (NBC-10) (October 14, 2016)
Lynn Yeakel discusses the DNC in Philadelphia
KYW Newsradio (1060-AM) (July 22, 2016)
"Toast to Tenacity" Event at the Constitution Center
WPVI-TV (6-abc) (August 26, 2016)
Lynn Yeakel Discusses Vision 2020
WCAU-TV (NBC-10) June 16, 2016
Trump Backlash Could Sweep More Women Into Office
The Takeaway (May 6, 2016)
IWHL and Woman One Awardee on KYW-TV (CBS-3) News
CBS-3 News (April 25, 2016)
Village View: Vision 2020 Plans Centennial of Women's Vote
Main Line Times (April 7, 2016)
Letter: Women Deserve Equal Treatment Throughout History
Philadelphia Inquirer (March 30, 2016)
Back to Top