Master of Legal Studies (MLS) Program
No matter where your career takes you in business, government service or the nonprofit sector, you will be working in an environment affected by law and legal regulations. More than ever, employers want to hire professionals who understand how to navigate laws and regulations that apply to their operations.
The U.S. News “Best Jobs” ranking lists Compliance Officer as #11 among best jobs in the business sector, and—based on U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics—projects that demand for compliance professionals will increase through 2024.
Our Master of Legal Studies program gives students an understanding of the legal issues that all businesses and organizations face and the knowledge to help their employers adhere to regulations.
Whether you choose to focus your studies in a particular field or complete a flexible MLS, you will become more attractive to prospective for employers.
With courses offered both online and on campus and the option of taking selected JD courses, our program gives students an opportunity to join an exciting community of faculty and peers who share a passion for a wide range of legal issues.
Expand Your Legal Knowledge
The Master of Legal Studies is a 30-semester-credit program that may be completed entirely online or supplemented with live courses, either full-time or part-time.
Choose the flexible MLS or one of eight concentrations.
- Cybersecurity and Information Privacy: Offers a comprehensive analysis of the data and privacy regulations that businesses deal with on a daily basis, along with the strategies needed to navigate them. For both technical and non-technical professionals. Graduate Certificate is also available.
- Financial Regulatory Compliance: Affords an exceptionally detailed study of the financial industry’s complex regulatory structure and compliance requirements, preparing you for in-demand, money-managing positions in both large and small financial institutions. Graduate Certificate is also available.
- Health Care Compliance: Offers a solid working knowledge of the rules and regulations that govern the healthcare industry–such as HIPAA and the ACA–while giving you the necessary tools to ensure that your organization complies with state and federal regulatory requirements. Graduate Certificate also available.
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Regulatory Compliance: Enhances your knowledge of the legal, regulatory, and ethical frameworks surrounding pharmaceutical and medical device research, development, sales, marketing, and related information privacy and compliance issues.
- Human Resources Compliance: Provides the expert knowledge and skills you need to deal effectively with critical legal compliance issues that HR professionals encounter every day–from employee hiring and termination to employer/employee relationship management as well as negotiation, mediation and alternative dispute resolution. Graduate Certificate also available.
- Higher Education Compliance: Prepares you to understand the laws that regulate institutions and protect students, through an exhaustive study of the legal landscape in higher education with respect to such important issues as FERPA, financial aid, campus safety, risk management and accreditation. Graduate Certificate also available.
- NCAA Compliance and Sports Law: Combines a foundational understanding of law and risk management with additional coursework designed to build your compliance proficiency in NCAA regulations that govern the rules of the game–from recruitment and ethical conduct, to eligibility, special benefits and financial aid. Graduate Certificate also available.
- Criminal Law: Prepares you to work within the intricate regulatory environment of today’s criminal justice system, by furnishing you with a solid grounding in criminal law and the rules of criminal procedure. Graduate Certificate also available.