Since joining Drexel in 1993, Masoud Soroush has been teaching and conducting research in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE). He is currently a professor of CBE and directs the NSF-sponsored Research Experiences for Undergraduates Site focusing on cyber manufacturing.
He received his PhD (chemical engineering), MS (electrical engineering: Systems), and MS (chemical engineering) all from The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and his BS in chemical engineering from Abadan Institute of Technology, Iran. He was a visiting scientist at DuPont Marshall Lab, Philadelphia, 2002–2003, and a visiting professor at Princeton University in 2008.
His research incorporates polymer membranes, polymers, process systems engineering, functional safety, nanomaterials, cyber manufacturing, and renewable power generation and storage systems. He has edited/co-edited and contributed to eight books and has documented his work in more than 400 publications, including over 215 widely cited articles.
He is a Fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) and a senior member of the IEEE. He represented AIChE on the American Automatic Control Council’s Board of Directors from 2010 to 2013. Among many honors, he has received the AIChE’s 2021 Institute Award for Excellence in Industrial Gases Technology, for addressing a series of industrial gas problems and transferring his technologies; the National Science Foundation Faculty Early CAREER Award; and the O. Hugo Schuck Best Paper Award of the American Automatic Control Council. He has supervised the research projects of 24 PhD, 22 MS, and 36 BS students, as well as seven postdoctoral research associates.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1992
- MSE, Electrical Engineering: Systems, University of Michigan, 1991
- MSE, Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1988
- BS, Chemical Engineering, Abadan Institute of Technology, Iran, 1985
Cybermanufacturing. On-demand modular manufacturing. Process intensification. Nanomaterials. Energy and Sustainability. Polymers. Polymer membranes, Process systems engineering, Multiscale mathematical modeling
- AIChE’s Institute Award for Excellence in Industrial Gases Technology, 2021
- College of Engineering Outstanding Innovation Award, 2022
- College of Engineering Outstanding Career Scholarly Research Achievement Award, Drexel University, 2018
- Elected Fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers – 2015
- O. Hugo Schuck Best Paper Award, American Automatic Control Council, 1999
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development Program (NSF CAREER), 1997
- Schwartz, D., T. Nguyen, Z. Chen, K.K.S. Lau, M.C. Grady, A. Shokoufandeh, and M. Soroush, “Data-Driven Prediction and Optimization of Liquid Wettability of an iCVD-Produced Fluoropolymer,” AIChE J., in press (2022)
- Mozafari, M., and M. Soroush, “Surface Functionalization of MXenes,” Materials Advances, 2, 7277–7307 (2021); 10.1039/D1MA00625H
- Liu, S., L. Chua, A. Arabi Shamsabadi, P. Corcoran, A. Patra, M. Grady, M. Soroush, and A.M. Rappe, “Oxygen-Initiated Free-Radical Polymerization of Alkyl Acrylates at High Temperatures,” Macormolecules, 54, 17, 7925–7930 (2021); 10.1021/acs.macromol.1c00669
- Samandari Masooleh, L., J. E. Arbogast, W. D. Seider, U. Oktem, and M. Soroush, “Distributed State Estimation in Large-scale Processes Decomposed into Observable Subsystems,” Computers and Chemical Engineering, 156, 107544 (2021); 10.1016/j.compchemeng.2021.107544
- Riazi, H., S. Kartik Nemani, M.C. Grady, B. Anasori, and M. Soroush, “Ti3C2 MXene-Polymer Nanocomposites and Their Applications,” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 9, 8051 – 8098 (2021); 10.1039/D0TA08023C
- Riazi, H., G. Taghizadeh, and M. Soroush, “MXene-based Nanocomposite Sensors,” ACS Omega, 6(17), 11103 –11112 (2021)
- Arabi Shamsabadi, A., M. Rezakazemi, F. Seidi, H. Riazi, T. Aminabhavi, and M. Soroush, “Next Generation Polymers of Intrinsic Microporosity with Tunable Moieties for Ultrahigh Permeation and Precise Molecular CO2 Separation,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, (2021); 10.1016/j.pecs.2021.100903
- Mozafari, M., A. Arabi Shamsabadi, A. Rahimpour, and M. Soroush, “Ion-Selective MXene-Based Membranes: Current Status and Prospects,” Advanced Materials Technologies, (2021); 10.1002/admt.202001189
- Samandari Masooleh, L., J.E. Arbogast, W. D. Seider, U. Oktem, and M. Soroush, “An Efficient Algorithm for Community Detection in Complex Weighted Networks,” AIChE J. (2021); 10.1002/aic.17205