Associate Professor Miguel Pando has over 16 years of experience as a tenure-track/tenured faculty in geotechnical engineering. His research involves soil-structure interaction, mitigation of natural hazards, and sustainable geomaterials. Since 2010, he was an associate professor in the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Prior to that, he was a faculty member in the Civil Engineering Department at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Civil Engineering (Geotechnical Eng.), Virginia Tech, 2003
- MSCE, Civil Engineering (Geotechnical Eng.), University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, 1995
- BSCE, Civil Engineering, Javeriana University, Bogota, Colombia (5 yr program w/thesis), 1991
- BSCE Courses, Civil Engineering, National University of Asuncion, Paraguay, 1985-89
Foundations and soil-structure-interaction, natural hazards (landslides, earthquakes, hurricanes), liquefaction and soil dynamics, re-use and recycling of waste geomaterials, geotechnical aspects of preservation of historical structures, engineering education, diversity, recruitment, and retention
Areas of Study
- Summer 2018: 2018 José Tola Pasquel Visiting Professor Award, PUCP, Lima, Perú, Award (honorarium, living expenses, and airfare for 6 weeks Summer 2018). Competitive campus wide (only awardee for Engineering).
- May 2012: Civil Engineering Nominee for consideration of College of Engineering Graduate Teaching Award, COE, UNCC, Academic year 2012-2013.
- May 2007: “Best Poster Award”, WOCA 2007; (Co-author with several students and 1 CEE colleague at UPRM).
- October 2006: EPA C2P2 (Coal Combustion Products Partnership) Research Award (with Dr. S. Hwang and 4 REU’s at UPRM).
- 2004-2005: “Outstanding Faculty Award” of the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. Based on teaching and research activities for the academic year 2004-2005.
- 1998: NSERC Doctoral Fellowship, NSERC (Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada), (for PhD studies in Canada, declined to attend Virginia Tech with GRA).
- 1992-1994: Colfuturo Postgraduate Scholarship, Colombian Government Colfuturo Foundation, For Top BS Graduates in Colombia to Study MS and PhD Abroad). Postgraduate Scholarship MS Level, Fall 1992 to Fall 1994.
- 1991: Award for Highest Overall GPA, Civil Engineering Class of 1991, Javeriana University, Bogota, Colombia.
- 1991: Award for Best Undergraduate Thesis, Civil Engineering Class of 1991, Javeriana University, Bogota, Colombia.
- Co-editor : ASCE Geo-Congress 2019: "The Eighth International Conference on Case Histories in Geotechnical Engineering," 10 Volumes. Editors: Meehan, C.L., Kumar, S., Pando, M.A., and Coe, J., ASCE Geotechnical Special Publications Nos. (10 – TBD), March 24-27, 2019, Philadelphia, PA.
- Invited chapter : Aguilar, R. And Pando, M.A. (Under review), Chapter 7 - “Non-destructive testing tools to support the characterization of adobe constructions,” In "Structural characterization and seismic retrofitting of adobe constructions: experimental and numerical developments," to be published with Springer International (Editors: Varum, H., Parisi, F., Tarque, N., and Silveira, D.).
- Co-editor: Proceedings 2018 SAHC – “Structural Analysis of Historical Constructions: An Interdisciplinary Approach," September 11-13, 2018, Cusco, Perú; Springer – Rilem Book Series.
- Silva-Tulla, F., and Pando, M.A. (In Press, 2019), "Geotechnical Extreme Event Site Reconnaissance in Puerto Rico after the Passage of Hurricane Maria," Accepted for publication in the International Journal of Geoengineering Case Histories, ISSMGE.
- Feyyisa, J., Daniels, J.L., Pando, M.A., and Ogunro, V.O. (2019), Relationship between breakthrough pressure and contact angle for organo-silane treated coal fly ash," J. Environmental Technology & Innovation, Elsevier, Vol. 14, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eti.2019.100332
- Dika, S.L., Hunt, B.D., Pando, M.A., Tempest, B.Q., and Allen, M.E. (2019), Self-Efficacy of Engineering Transfer Students: Links to Faculty Interaction and Other Forms of Capital," International J. on Engineering, Science and Technology, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-9.
- Aguilar, R., Pando, M.A., Briceño, C., Zavala, G., Castañeda, B., Perucchio, R., and Uceda, S. (2018), "Structural and Geotechnical Engineering Assessment of Huaca de la Luna - A Massive Earthen Moche Culture Period in Northern Peru," J. of Cultural Heritage, Elsevier, Vol. 34, pp. 83-94.
- Keatts, M.I., Daniels, J.L., Langley, W.G., Pando, M.A., and Ogunro, V.O. (2018), “Apparent Contact Angle and Water Entry Head Measurements for Organo-Silane Modified Sand and Coal Fly Ash," ASCE J. of Geotech. & Geoenvironmental Eng., 144(6).
- Dika, S., Pando, M., Tempest, B., and Allen, M. (2018), “Examining the Cultural Wealth of Underrepresented Minority Engineering Persisters," ASCE J. of Professional Issues in Eng. Education and Practice, Manuscript EIENG-1009.
- Feyyisa, J., Daniels, J.L., and Pando, M.A. (2017), “Contact Angle Measurements for use in Specifying Organo-Silane Modified Coal Combustion Fly Ash," ASCE J. of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 9, 04017096.
- Inyang, H.I., Bae, S., and Pando, M.A. (2016), “Contaminant dust suppression materials: A cost-effectiveness estimation methodology," Measurement, Elsevier, Vol. 93, 563-571.
- Aguilar, R., Nakamatsu, J. Ramírez, E., Elgegren, M., Ayarza, J., Kim, S., Pando, M.A., Ortega-San-Martin, L. (2016), “The potential use of chitosan as a biopolymer additive for enhanced mechanical properties and water resistance of earthen construction," Journal of Construction & Building Materials, Elsevier, Vol. 114, pp. 625-637.
- Aguilar, R., Ramirez, E., Haach, V.G., and Pando, M.A. (2016) “Vibration-based nondestructive testing as a practical tool for rapid concrete quality control," Journal of Construction & Building Materials, Elsevier, V. 104, pp. 181-191.