Degrees / Education
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2012
- MS, Architectural Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2005
- BS, Architectural Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1998
Architectural fluid mechanics, Building automation and autonomy, Implementation of natural and hybrid ventilation in buildings, Airflow distribution in buildings, Large-scale air movement in an urban built environment, Building and urban informatics, Data-enhanced sensing and control for optimal building operation and management, Novel data gathering methods for building/urban problem solving, Interdisciplinary research on occupant behaviors in the built environment
Areas of Study
- NRC RAP Fellowship 2013 – 2014
- National Academies – National Research Council: Research Associateship Program NSF Traineeship 2008 – 2012
- National Science Foundation: Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship
- Assistant Professor James Lo was interviewed and quoted on the businessinsider.com website on July 1st in an article entitled “4 ways to know if you’re in a well-ventilated space reducing the risk of spreading or contracting the coronavirus.” Read the article here.
- Assistant Professor James Lo, was interviewed and quoted in an article published by NBC news about the air handling at President Trump's rally in Arizona on June 23rd. Read the full article on the NBC news website.
- Britt Faulstick from University Communications conducted a Q&A session for the Drexel University News Blog with Professor Lo on why ventilation is critical for offices and restaurants reopening during the pandemic. Read the full Q&A& here.
- Kohanski, M.A., Lo, L.J., Waring, M.S. (2020). Review of Indoor Aerosol Generation, Transport and Control in the Context of COVID‐19, International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology. https://doi.org/10.1002/alr.22661
- Shevade, L., Lo, L.J., Montalto, F.A. (2020). Numerical 3D Model Development and Validation of Curbcut Inlet for Efficiency Prediction, Water, volume 12, issue 6, page 1791, DOI: 10.3390/w12061791
- Chung D., Wen, J., Lo, L. J. (2020). Development and verification of the open source platform, HAM-Tools for hygrothermal performance simulation of buildings using a stochastic approach, Building Simulations, Volume 13, page: 497-514, DOI: 10.1007/s12273-019-0594-5
- Mohsen, F.S., Gheisari, M., Lo, L. J. (2020). Improving Design Communication of Paper-based 2D Drawings via Augmented Reality Platform. International Journal of Construction Education and Research (DOI: 10.1080/15578771.2020.1717682).
- Wang, S., Zhang, Y., Waring, M., & Lo, L. J. (2018). Statistical analysis of wind data using Weibull distribution for natural ventilation estimation. Science and Technology for the Built Environment, Volume 24, Issue 9, Page 922-932.
- Ahn, H., Rim, D., Lo, L.J. (2018). Ventilation and energy performance of partitioned indoor spaces under mixing and displacement ventilation. Building Simulation, Volume 11, Issue 3, Page 561-574.