E. Caglan Kumbur is currently an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering and the director of the Electrochemical Energy Systems Laboratory at Drexel University. He earned his B.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering from Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey in 2002. He received his M.S. and Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University in 2006 and 2007, respectively. Prior joining Drexel University, he was a Research Associate at the Pennsylvania State University. His research is in the field of electrochemical energy storage and conversion technologies, in particular flow-assisted electrochemical systems. His research interest includes materials design and characterization, transport phenomena, performance diagnostics and computational modeling of flow batteries, fuel cells and supercapacitors. He has co-authored numerous publications, including technical articles, book chapters, conference proceedings, and patent applications. He is also co-editor of a book on PEM fuel cells. He is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Electrochemical Society and International Association for Hydrogen Energy. He is also serving as the Associate Editor of International Journal of Hydrogen Energy.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Penn State University, 2007
- MSc, Mechanical Engineering, Penn State University, 2006
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Turkey, 2002
Electrochemical energy storage and conversion, flowable electrodes, flow batteries, supercapacitors, capacitive deionization, transport phenomena, system design and diagnostics
Areas of Study
- NSF CAREER Award 2014
- College of Engineering Excellence in Research Award, Drexel University, 2014
- Distinguished Service Award, Philadelphia AMP, 2013
- Cover Article in Advanced Energy Materials 2012
- Honors List, METU
- Akuzum, B., Maleski, K., Anasori, B., Lelyukh, P., Alvarez, N.J., Kumbur, E.C. and Gogotsi, Y., 2018. Rheological Characteristics of 2D Titanium Carbide (MXene) Dispersions: A Guide for Processing MXenes. ACS Nano, 12(3), pp.2685-2694.
- Akuzum, B., Agartan, L., Locco, J. and Kumbur, E.C., 2017. Effects of particle dispersion and slurry preparation protocol on electrochemical performance of capacitive flowable electrodes. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 47(3), pp.369-380.
- Boettcher, P., Agar, E., Dennison, C. R., and Kumbur, E. C., 2016, "Modeling of ion crossover in vanadium redox flow batteries: a computationally-efficient lumped parameter approach for extended cycling", Journal of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 163(1), A5244-A5252.
- Dennison, C. R., Agar, E., Akuzum, B., and Kumbur., E. C., 2016, "Enhancing mass transport in redox flow batteries by tailoring flow field and electrode design.", Journal of The Electrochemical Society, vol. 163 (1), A5163-A5169
- Dennison, C. R., Beidaghi, M., Hatzell, K. B., Campos, J. W., Gogotsi, Y., and Kumbur, E. C., 2014, “Effects of flow cell design on charge percolation and storage in the carbon slurry electrodes of electrochemical flow capacitors,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 247, pp. 489-496.
- Dennison, C. R., Gogotsi, Y., and Kumbur, E. C., 2014, “In-situ distributed diagnostics of flowable electrode systems: resolving spatial and temporal limitations,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 16, 18241-18252.
- Mayrhuber, I., Dennison, C. R., Kalra, V., and Kumbur, E. C., 2014, “Laser-perforated carbon paper electrodes for improved mass-transport in high power density vanadium redox flow batteries,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 260, pp. 251-258.
- Agar, E., *Knehr, K. W., Chen, D., Hickner, M. A., and Kumbur, E. C., 2013, “Species transport mechanisms governing capacity loss in vanadium flow batteries: comparing Nafion® and sulfonated radel membranes,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 98, pp. 66-74.
- Presser, V., Dennison, C. R., Compos, J., Knehr, K. W., Kumbur E. C., and Gogotsi, Y. 2012, "The electrochemical flow capacitor: a new concept for rapid energy recovery and delivery," Advanced Energy Materials, doi: 10.1002/aenm.201100768
- Knehr, K. W., Agar, E., Dennison, C. R., *Kalidindi, A. R., and Kumbur, E. C., 2012, "A transient vanadium flow battery model incorporating species crossover and water transport in the membrane," Journal of Electrochemical Society, vol. 159, (9) pp. A1446-A1459
- Knehr, K. W. and Kumbur, E.C., 2012 " Role of convection and related effects on species crossover and capacity loss in vanadium flow batteries," Electrochemistry Communications, doi: 10.1016/j.elecom.2012.07.008