Degrees / Education
- PhD, Engineering & Public Policy and Civil & Environmental Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 2001
- AB, Chemistry, Harvard University, 1989
Risk analysis of environmental and infrastructure systems, water quality, environmental standard setting, Bayesian statistical modeling, climate change adaptation in urban areas, community outreach and environmental health
Areas of Study
- 2017 Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Distinguished Service Award (For service as Chair of Government Affairs Committee
- 2015 College of Engineering Outstanding Mid-Career Research Award
- 2012 Drexel University Graduate Student Association (GSA) Outstanding Faculty Mentor Award
Tolofari, D.L., Masters, S.V., Bartrand, T.A., Hamilton, K.A., Haas, C.N., Olson, M., Summers, R.S., Rasheduzzaman, M., Young, A., Singh, R., Gurian, P.L. “Full factorial study of plumbing pipe material, diameter, and water use frequency on building water quality,” AWWA Water Science, 2(5):e1204. https://doi.org/10.1002/aws2.1204.
- Kar, S., Riazi, B., Gurian, P.L., Spatari, S., Adler, P.R., Parton, W.J. 2020. “An optimization framework to identify key management strategies for improving biorefinery performance: A case study of winter barley production,” Biofpr Journal, 14(6):1296-1312. https://doi.org/10.1002/bbb.2141.
Yassaghi, H., Gurian, P.L., Hoque, S. in press. “Propagating Downscaled Future Weather File Uncertainties into Building Energy Use,” Applied Energy, 287 (Nov. 2020), 115655. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.115655.
- Rasheduzzaman, M., R. Singh; C.N. Haas; P.L. Gurian. 2020. “Required Water Temperature in Hotel Plumbing to Control Legionella Growth,” Water Research, 182(9/1/2020):115943, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2020.115943.
- Hamilton, K., M. Hamilton, W. Johnson, P. Jjemba, Z. Bukhari, M. LeChevallier, C.N. Haas, P.L. Gurian. 2019. “Risk-based critical levels of Legionella pneumophila for indoor water uses,” Environmental Science and Technology, 53(8):4528-4541, ACS Editor’s Choice article.
Foti, R., P. Gurian, J. Wen, C. Hunold, et al. Options for Achieving Deep Reductions in Carbon Emissions in Philadelphia by 2050. Drexel University. 2015. https://www.phila.gov/media/20160502170712/Emissions-Reduction-Report-80-by-50_Jan-2016.pdf