After receiving his Ph.D., Dr. Daryoush joined the faculty of Drexel University as DuPont Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering. He was promoted to Associate Professor and Associate Director of the Center for Microwave/Lightwave Engineering in 1990 and to Full Professor in 1998. Professor Daryoush is recipient of University Graduate Teaching Award in 2000 and he has developed and taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses in electromagnetic fields, telecommunication, wireless communications, solid state microwave photonic devices, RF circuits, and antennas.
Dr. Daryoush has conducted research in microwave photonics for telecommunication, satellite communications, EW, and biomedical engineering applications, resulting in publication of over 200 technical papers and five book chapters. He was the recipient of the Microwave Prize in the 16th European Microwave Conference, Dublin, Ireland in 1986. Over 12 of Dr. Daryoush's students have received best paper awards in student paper competitions in various IEEE sponsored conferences.
Dr. Daryoush has delivered invited talks on biomedical, telecommunications, and military systems employing various microwave photonics techniques in many symposia, the US government & NATO sponsored workshops, and international research laboratories. He was also a lecturer as part of the Second Summer School on “Optics Interaction with Microwave Circuits” in 1999, Autrans, France and the NATO sponsored LS 229 on “Optics Microwave Interactions” in three countries of France, Germany, and Hungary in 2002. Dr. Daryoush has received continuous financial support from external resources including the US government agencies, aerospace, and telecommunication companies.
He was a Summer Faculty Fellow at NASA Lewis Research in Center, Cleveland, OH from 1987 to 1988 and at Naval Air Development Center in Warminster, PA from 1989 to 1990. As part of the Sabbatical Leave Awards from Drexel University, Dr. Daryoush worked as a Visiting Scholar at NTT Wireless Systems Laboratories in Yokosuka, Japan from 1996 to 1997 and at the CNRS’ Institute of Electronics, Microelectronics, and Nano-technologies (IEMN) in Villeneuve d’Asq., Lille, France in 2005. He collaborated with researchers at Thales LRC, Orsay, France, Alcatel Thales III-V Lab, Marcoussie, France, and faculty members from University of Rennes and University of Nantes in France. Dr. Daryoush has been awarded seven US patents with one of his patents was licensed for commercialization. He has served as guest editor for the IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory & Technology, The Journal of the Franklin Institute, Microwave & Lightwave Technology Letters, and the IET Microwave, Propagation, and Antennas. Prof. Daryoush was among the youngest members of IEEE to be elevated as a Fellow of IEEE in 1998 for contributions to the field of “nonlinear microwave photonics with Applications to highspeed fiber optic links.”
Dr. Daryoush is a member of Sigma Xi since 1986, and has served as president of the Drexel University Chapter in 1999. He has also served the IEEE Philadelphia Joint Chapter of the AP/MTT Societies in various capacities, such as vice chair, chair, and ex officio from 1989 to 1995. He serves as faculty advisor to the Graduate Student Chapter of IEEE at Drexel University. He had co-organized and served as member of TPC for the annual Benjamin Franklin Symposium (1989-1996), the IEEE Microwave Photonics (MWP’98, MWP’99, MWP 2008, MWP 2012, and MWP 2013, AP-MWP’06 – AP-MWP’10), the IEEE 2003 International Microwave Symposium(IMS’03 and IMS2018), the 2004 IEEE Radio Wireless Conference (RAWCON’04), the IEEE Radio Wireless Symposia (RWS’06 and RWS’07). He is the TPC chair of the 2008 IEEE Radio Wireless Symposium incorporating WAMICON, General Chair of the IASTED’s Antenna, Radar, and Wave Propagation Conference (ARP2008), Baltimore, MD, General Symposium Chair of the 2009 IEEE Radio Wireless Symposium (RWS2009) in San Diego, CA, and General Chair for the MWP2010, Montreal, Canada.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Drexel University, 1986
- MS, Electrical Engineering, Drexel University
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University
Microwave photonics systems; nonlinear microwave circuits; RFIC and wireless communications; antennas and radiating systems; electromagnetic interaction with biological systems
- 2020 College of Engineering Outstanding Innovation Award
- 2018 Drexel University Alumni Association Award for Faculty/Staff Alumni
- 2015 IEEE Philadelphia Section Benjamin Franklin Key Medal
- 1998 Fellow of IEEE
- 1991-1998 IEEE Senior Member
- L. Zhang, A. K. Poddar, U. L. Rohde, A. S. Daryoush, "Phase Noise Reduction and Spurious Suppression in Microwave Oscillators Utilizing Self-Injection Loops," The 2014 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), Newport Beach, CA, USA. Jan. 2014.
- Li Zhang, Student Member, Ajay Poddar, Ulrich Rohde, Afshin Daryoush, "Analytical and Experimental Evaluation of SSB Phase Noise Reduction in Self-Injection Locked Oscillators Using Optical Delay Loops," IEEE Photonics Journal, Volume 5, Number 6, December 2013, DOI: 10.1109/JPHOT.2013.2289958 1943-0655 _ 2013 IEEE
- L. Zhang, V. Madhavan, R. Patel, A. K. Poddar, U. L. Rohde, and A. S. Daryoush, "Ultra low FM noise in passively temperature compensated microwave opto-electronic," in Proc. IEEE IMaRC, New Dehli, India, Dec. 2013.
- L. Zhang, U. L. Rohde, A. K. Poddar, and A. S. Daryoush, "Self-injection locked phase-locked loop OEO," in Proc. IEEE IMaRC, New Dehli, India, Dec. 2013.
- U. L. Rohde, A. K. Poddar, T. Itoh, and A. Daryoush, "Evanescent-Mode Metamaterial Resonator Based Signal Sources," in Proc. IEEE IMaRC New Delhi, Dec 14-16, 2013.
- E. Sultan, K. Pourrezaei, A. Ghandjbakhche, and A.S. Daryoush, "3D Numerical modeling and its experimental verifications for an inhomogeneous head phantom using broadband fNIR system," Int. J. Numer. Meth. Biomed. Engng. (2013) Published online in Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com). DOI: 10.1002/cnm.2606
- Sultan E, Najafizadeh L, Gandjbakhche AH, Pourrezaei K, Daryoush A. "Accurate optical parameter extraction procedure for broadband near-infrared spectroscopy of brain matter," Journal of Biomedical Optics 2013; 18(1):017008–017008, (2013).
- E. Sultan, K. Manseta, A. Gandjbakhche*, and A.S. Daryoush, "Untethered Helmet Mounted Functional Near Infrared (fNIR) Biomedical Imaging for Hematoma Detection," in Proc. IEEE IMaRC, New Dehli, India, Dec. 2013.
- Damiano Patron, Kapil R. Dandekar, and Afshin S. Daryoush , "Optical Control of Pattern-Reconfigurable Planar Antennas," IEEE Microwave Photonics Proceeding, Alexandria, VA, Oct. 2013.
- Damiano Patron, Kapil R. Dandekar, Daniele Piazza, and Afshin S. Daryoush , "Design and Harmonic Balance Analysis of a Wideband Planar Antenna having Reconfigurable Omnidirectional and Directional Patterns," Proc. of the 2011 IEEE AP-S International Antennas and Propagation Symposium, 5-10 July 2013, Orlando, FL.
- Damiano Patron, Afshin S. Daryoush, Kapil R. Dandekar, and Daniele Piazza ,"Design and Harmonic Balance Analysis of a Wideband Planar Antenna having Reconfigurable Omnidirectional and Directional Patterns," IEEE 2013 Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference, April 2013, Tampa, FL.
- Li Hao Jian, Brandon Lally, Peter Tran, Khushali Manseta, Ebraheem Sultan, and Afshin S. Daryoush, "Design of Free-Space Optical Transmitter and Receiver Modules for Helmet Mounted Broadband fNIR System," IEEE 35th Sarnoff Symposium, May 21-22, 2012, Newark, NJ. (Won 2nd place in the student paper competition.)
- Ming Yu, Ian Gresham, and Afshin S. Daryoush, "Special Issue on the 2012 Microwave Week: Microwaves Without Borders," Guest Editorship of the Microwave Magazine, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 8-10, May 2012.
- Sultan E, Manseta K, Khwaja A, Najafizadeh L, Gandjbakhche A, Pourrezaei K, Daryoush AS, "Modeling and tissue parameter extraction challenges for free space broadband fNIR brain imaging systems," Proceedings of SPIE, 7902, Imaging, Manipulation, and Analysis of Biomolecules, Cells, and Tissues IX, 790223, 2011, DOI: 10.1117/12.875618.
- E. Sultan, K Manseta, A Khwaja, L Najafizadeh, A Gandjbakhche, K Pourrezaei, A Daryoush "Modeling and Tissue Parameter Extraction Challenges for Free Space Broadband fNIR Brain Imaging Systems" ; SPIE 2011 Photonics west.
- Khwaja, A.M.; Manseta, K.; Sultan, E.; Daruwalla, P.; Malallah, Y.; Najafizadeh, L.; Madjar, A.; Pourrezaei, K.; Gandjbakhche, A.; Daryoush, A.S. , "Realization and performance comparison of untethered and minimally tethered helmet mounted broadband fNIR," Microwave Conference (EuMC), 2011 41st European , vol., no., pp.674-677, 10-13 Oct. 2011
- Manseta, K.; Khwaja, A. M.; Sultan, E.; Daruwalla, P.; Pourrezaei, K.; Najafizadeh, L.; Gandjbakhche, A.; Daryoush, A.S.,"Untethered helmet mounted functional near infrared (fNIR) biomedical imaging?," Digest of the 2011 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 5-10 June 2011.
- E. Sultan, K. Manseta, A. Khwaja, L. Najafizadeh, A. Gandjbakhche, K. Pourrezaei and A. S. Daryoush, "Modeling and tissue parameter extraction challenges for free space broadband fNIR brain imaging systems", Proc. SPIE 7902, 790223; 2011
- E. Sultan, A. Khwaja, K. Manseta, Y. Mallalah, Q. Zhang, L. Najafizadeh, A. Gandjbakhche, K. Pourrezaei, A.S. Daryoush, "Tethered and Untethered Helmet Mounted fNIR Systems for TBI Application," 12th annual IEEE Wireless and Microwave Technology (WAMI) Conference, April 2011, Orlando, USA (Invited Paper).
- Rupa Gopinath, Khushali Manseta, Vasileios Nasis, Afshin S. Daryoush, M. El-Sherif and Peter A. Lewin, "Optimization of 100 MHz Fiber Optic Hydrophone for Medical Ultrasound Applications using Nanometer Scale Gold Coating," Acoustic Society of America Meeting, Baltimore, April 19-23, 2010.
- A.M. Khwaja, P. Miranda, V. Mistry, C. Hinton, S. Garg, A. Sharma, A.S. Daryoush , "Ultra Wide Band System Realization for 4×4 MIMO Test Bed", The 2010 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), New Orleans, USA. Jan. 2010.
- Manseta K, Sultan E, Khwaja AM, Pourrezaei K, Joshi A, Najafizadeh L, Gandjbakhche A, Daryoush AS, "Development challenges of brain functional monitoring using untethered broadband frequency modulated fNIR system," IEEE Microwave Photonics Proceeding, Montreal, Canada, MWP 2010; 295–299.
- R. Gopinath, P. Arora, G. Gandhi, A.S. Daryoush, M. El-Sherif, and P.A. Lewin, "Thin Film Metal Coated Fiber Optic Hydrophone Probe," Applied Optics Lett. , Vol. 48, Issue 31, pp. G77-G82, November 2009.
- A. S. Daryoush, K. Pourrezaei, K. Izzetoglu, E. Papazoglou, L. Zubkov, B. Onaral "Microwave Photonics Applied to fNIR based biomedical Imaging? ," The 22nd Annual Meeting of the IEEE Photonics Society. Belek-Antalya, Turkey, Oct. 2009. (Invited Paper)
- A. Daryoush, "RF and Microwave Photonics in Biomedical Applications", Chapter 9 of Microwave Photonics: Devices and Applications, Stavros Iezekiel, Ed., Wiley, 2009.
- M.R. Tofighi and A.S. Daryoush, "Biological Tissue Complex permittivity Measured from S21 –Error Analysis and Error Reduction by Refernce Measurements", IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 58, No. 7, pp. 2316-2327, July 2009.