Degrees / Education
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1980
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1978
- BS, Mechanical engineering, Seoul National University, 1972
Plasma Water Treatment, Anti-Fouling Technology for Heat Exchangers, Flows and Heat Transfer of Non-Newtonian Fluids, Hemorheology and vascular disease
Areas of Study
He received two NASA Space Act Tech Brief Awards (NPO-17237) and (NPO-16593) for his work on the flow visualization of tip vortex generated by a helicopter rotor blade. He was the recipient of the 1992 Lindback Award for excellence in teaching at Drexel University. In 1993, Dr. Cho was nominated by U.S. DOE and elected as the chairman of the Advanced Fluid Committee under International Energy Agency. In 1995, he was the recipient of the Research Professor of the Year at Drexel University.
Since he joined Drexel in 1985, he has developed a non-Newtonian flow and heat transfer laboratory and has initiated the investigation of a non-chemical water treatment technology to prevent fouling from various heat exchangers. He has been instrumental in developing a number of new technologies such as a new scanning capillary tube viscometer for blood viscosity measurement in clinical environments, and an electronic-descaling technology based on a solenoid-coil concept. Currently, he is developing methods of applying high-voltage plasma technology to wastewater treatment.
- Cho Y and Kim H. Nonchemical Methods to Control Scale and Deposit Formation. In: Z. Amjad and K. Demadis, eds. Mineral Scales and Deposits: Scientific and Technological Approaches: Elsevier; 2015: 193-221.
- Kim H-S, Wright K, Piccioni J, Cho DJ and Cho YI. Inactivation of bacteria by the application of spark plasma in produced water. Separation and Purification Technology. 2015;156:544-552.
- Kim H-S, Wright K, Cho DJ and Cho YI. Self-cleaning filtration with spark discharge in produced water. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2015;88:527-537.
- Kim HS, Lee D, Fridman A and Cho YI. Residual effects and energy cost of gliding arc discharge treatment on the inactivation of Escherichia coli in water. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2014;77:1075-1083.