Jonathan Awerbuch, PhD, has been a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics since 1977. He holds his BSc and MSc and DSc degrees from the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology. Prior to joining Drexel he taught at the Technion for two years and was an NRC Research Associate at the Air Force Materials Laboratories. His research interests include fracture and fatigue behavior of metallic and composites structures, mechanical and impact response of composite structures, and acoustic emission in composites. His research has been sponsored by various government agencies and industry. He organized and participated in various workshops in the United States, Europe and Japan on failure, fracture, impact, and acoustic emission in composites. For the past dozen years he is working on research sponsored by the Federal Aviation Administration related to aging aircraft, airworthiness, and crashworthiness.
Degrees / Education
- PhD, Technion, I.I.T., Haifa, Israel
Fracture and fatigue in aircraft structures; failure and damage in composites, impact and wave propagation, acoustic emission.
- J. Awerbuch and M.S. Madhukar, "Notched Strength of Composite Laminates: Predictions and Experiments - A Review," J. Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 4, pp. 3-159 (1985). (entire issue)
- Ghaffari S, Awerbuch J. “On the Correlation Between Acoustic Emission and Progression of Matrix Splitting in a Unidirectional Graphite/Epoxy Composite,” In: Sachse W, Roget J, Yamaguchi K, editors. Acoustic Emission: Current Practices and Future Directions, ASTM STP 1077. Philadelphia, 1991. pp. 404–415.
- Bakuckas, J.G., Lau, A.C.W., Tan, T.-M. and Awerbuch J., "Computational Methodology to Predict Damage Growth in Unidirectional Composites, Part I - Theoretical Formulation and Numerical Implementation," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 52, 1995, pp. 937-951.
- Leone FA, Ozevin D, Awerbuch J, Tan T-M. Detecting and Locating Damage Initiation and Progression in Full-Scale Sandwich Composite Fuselage Panels Subjected to Combined Loading Using Acoustic Emission. J Compos Materials, Published online before print June 12, 2012, doi: 10.1177/0021998312450306.