Biostatistics Scientific Collaboration Center
Welcome to the Biostatistics Scientific Collaboration Center (BSC)! The BSC is based in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Dornsife School of Public Health.
If you are looking for team members who can contribute data management best practices, participate in study design, and provide statistical collaboration, then you have come to the right place.
The BSC is a fee for service center, and we are here to collaborate with you every step of the way.
We appreciate the opportunity to join as you begin to plan your study by engaging in conversations about refining study design and aims with a biostatistics and data management lens. We can bring our experience to:
- Perform power and sample size calculations based on preliminary data already summarized/analyzed.
- Use preliminary data to perform analyses to strengthen prior research and scientific rigor for the significance and approach sections of the grant.
- Provide you with best practices and guidance as you build and maintain your database, or you can leave it to us for all database needs.
- Review grant applications and other proposals with emphasis on rigor and reproducibility.
- Are you utilizing data already collected? No problem, the BSC can be the group that performs the quantitative analyses for your project.
BSC is task based and together, we create and implement a Scope of Work (SOW) for a set of clearly defined deliverables for each stage of the data management and analysis process. Please see below for examples of BSC deliverables.
Based on your project needs, BSC assembles a team of faculty biostatisticians, staff biostatisticians, database experts, programmers, and students to join in collaboration with you and your study group.
Is BSC a good fit to join your team? Please help us learn more about your project and research by completing the BSC Intake form. A member of our team will respond to your request within two business days and then we will set up a time to meet.
Please also feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are excited about the possibility of collaborating with you!
Reneé H. Moore, PhD, Director
Megan Smith, BS, Administrative Manager
Kelly Courts, MPH, REDCap Specialist
John Pluta, MS, Biostatistics Doctoral Student
Examples of BSC Tasks
The BSC team can contribute to your project in the following ways:
- Study Design: Power Analysis & Statistical Review of Grant Proposal
- Quantitative Aims, Rigor & Reproducibility, Stat Methods Section
- Creation of Analytic Dataset
- Data Cleaning
- Merging Multiple Sources of Data
- Creation of Derived Variables and Scoring Constructs
- Database Development, Implementation, Maintenance
- Statistical Analysis for Grant Preparation
- Statistical Analysis for Abstract Preparation
- Collaboration on Reports Required for Regulatory and Funding Agencies (e.g. DSMB, NIH)
- Collaboration on Manuscripts
- Response to Reviewers for Grants and Manuscripts
- Data Mining and Analysis of Large, Administrative, or Publicly Available Datasets (e.g. NHATS)