The Early Childhood Education Scholarship funded by PHMC offers teachers who currently work in a childcare setting the opportunity to become certified PreK-4 teachers. The scholarship is also an alternative option to teachers who may not be eligible for the TEACH PA Scholarship. The scholarship covers 100% of a student’s tuition. Non-tuition expenses (books, lost compensation from student teaching, etc.) may also be covered. The scholarship covers at least 18 credit hours, the equivalent of 6 courses per year. Students will have the opportunity to renew their scholarship each year.
To apply, please complete the PHMC PDO Scholarship Application Form. Please also direct questions to Dr. Haslip.
The online application form addresses the following information:
- Applicant name, phone number, email address, and home address
- Your employer and the number of hours you work per week currently.
- If unemployed: be sure to address your intent to immediately return to ECE employment once COVID-19 related complications have lifted. You need to have prior work experience in an ECE center to apply. Address your years of prior work experience in ECE in your letter.
- The program you are seeking to attend (e.g., online Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with PK – 4 certification)
- Explain why you do not qualify for the TEACH scholarship or why it is not available to you right now, if you do qualify for it.
- Explain how/why you meet any other scholarship criteria listed above, such as working in West Philadelphia, etc.
- The business name, address and star designation of your ECE center.
- Name and contact information of the center director.
Deadline: Rolling application and review process during the 20-21 academic year. There is no set deadline, it is a year-round rolling application, review and admission process contingent upon current grant fund availability.
- Please email the director to ask if awards remain available prior to submitting your application. Applicants meeting all required and priority qualifications (see "what are the requirements" above), and who complete the application fully and correctly, will be awarded a scholarship on a first come, first serve basis.
Application review and decision-making process
- Your transcripts and personal statement will be reviewed on the basis of meeting the required and priority qualifications (above) and on the basis of your ability to maintain a 3.0 GPA while at Drexel, to persist and persevere and to maintain a spirit of collegiality with faculty and students during your time at Drexel.
- Note: you can apply for the ECE scholarship funded by PHMC before you apply to Drexel. If your scholarship is accepted, you will be instructed to apply to Drexel for admission. If your application to Drexel itself is declined, the scholarship likewise cannot be awarded.
For questions about the Early Childhood Education Scholarship funded by PHMC, please contact Dr. Michael Haslip at firstname.lastname@example.org.