Your safety is our top priority. All requests must be reviewed by the Office of Global Health Education, the Special Electives Committee and, if necessary, the Travel Warning Review Committee. You will also need approval from the host institution (if the program is not Drexel-organized) and you must register your trip with Drexel's Office of Study Abroad.
For more information on the requirements of the Travel Warning Review Committee, please contact Lotte Buiting at email@example.com or 215.571.3377.
Before choosing a location for your elective, please do the following:
- Review U.S. Department of State travel warnings and alerts.
- Be up to date on news or events happening in that location. Be aware of any political instability or ongoing unrest.
- Learn if there are any safety considerations or notes for travelers in regards to gender, sexual orientation, religion, race or ethnicity.
If the country is on the trade embargo list, or has a travel warning or travel alert, the student's application will be rigorously reviewed individually by the Travel Warning Review Committee for consideration and may not be approved for international elective credit.
If a country is listed, to be considered for travel, we will need additional documents which will then be presented to the Travel Warning Committee. These include:
- Signed Addendum to the Terms and Conditions of Participation
- A written justification for the importance/value of this particular location to your learning objectives
- A proposed safety plan for emergency evacuation
- Pre-departure orientation provided by Drexel's Office of Study Abroad
Please note that, if an already approved elective site is suddenly added to the travel warning, embargo or alert list by the U.S. Department of State any time prior to departure, the elective will be presented to the Travel Warning Committee for their consideration. There may be modifications to the original approval.
Back to Top