Drexel: Philadelphia's First Age-Friendly University
In November 2019, Drexel University officially became an Age-friendly University, the first institution in Philadelphia to join the Age-friendly Global Network. An age-friendly university embodies 10 principles, which together lay out how a college or university can prepare for the future and meet the needs of students, faculty, and people of all ages. Drexel joins more than 60 institutions worldwide that have signed on to this exciting initiative.
Through engaging and building on the strengths of individuals as they age, faculty, staff, alumni and students can transform Drexel into a place for lifelong learning. Drexel has the opportunity to reimagine its approach to teaching, scholarship and education and create an environment that disrupts ageism, embraces people of all ages, fosters intergenerational connectivity and innovates through age-related research from the cellular to the societal levels.
Age-Friendly in Action
Drexel University’s Age-Friendly efforts already include:
- The AgeWell Collaboratory (and its Student Network), the College of Nursing and Health
Professions’ center without walls, led by Laura N. Gitlin, PhD, to promote healthy aging in
partnership with >70 community-based organizations and interprofessional approaches to
research, education and practice
- The Cell2Society Aging Research Network, a Drexel Area of Research Excellence Grant, led by
DiMaria-Ghalili, PhD, in collaboration with 42 researchers across the University
- The Goodwin College of Professional Studies’ AgeWell Academy for older adults and professionals in the aging network
- The University Advisory Committee on Access, evaluating online and built environment accessibility
- The Dornsife Center for Neighborhood Partnerships, programs focusing on older adults in West Philadelphia
- Aging-related International Courses Abroad & Co-ops … And more!
Learn More >
The Skills Hub
The Skills Hub at Goodwin College serves adult learners from 18 to 80+. Lifelong learning doesn’t stop at a particular age. At AgeWell Academy, adult learners, 50+, can sharpen skills, earn certifications and professional certificates, and enjoy personal and professional enrichment opportunities.
Learn more about the Skills Hub >
Life is Beautiful (WRCE 7985): Virtual
Audience: Those who enjoy writing and want to share important stories of loved ones, friends and colleagues. Ideal for West Philadelphia community members, Drexel alums, retirees, faculty and staff.
Date: January 17 - February 14, 2023
Time: 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Delivery: Virtual via Zoom
CEUs: 1.0 CEUs
Instructor: Ken Bingham, Drexel Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
Course Description: Life is Beautiful 2.0 is a 5-week virtual noncredit writing course that teaches people how to interview and write the stories of people and their life experiences. Over the 5-week session, learners will become skilled at writing and strengthen interpersonal communication through the art of storytelling. The course culminates in a final project and presentation with invited guests.
5 Week Schedule At a Glance:
- Week One: Introduction
Homework: Choose Your Subject
- Week Two: Prepare for the First Interview
Homework: Conduct First Interview
- Week Three: What We Learned from our Subjects
Homework: Conduct Second Interview
- Week Four: How to Put the Project Together
Homework: Creating the Project
- Week Five: Presentations