For a better experience, click the Compatibility Mode icon above to turn off Compatibility Mode, which is only for viewing older websites.

Managing Your Academics Abroad

While abroad, you may decide to change your classes. If this is the case, you MUST receive approval from the appropriate Drexel department head. All classes must have a Drexel equivalent. If you are unsure if your program is Drexel-Sponsored, refer to our complete list of Drexel-Sponsored Programs. More information about non-Drexel programs can be found on our Independent Study Abroad Guide

  • Learn how to obtain course approvals via e-mail in our Guide to Course Approvals
  • All course approvals granted while abroad must be e-mailed to
  • It's extremely important to stay within the full time credit limit. 12-20 credits is full time status at Drexel. If you go above 20 credits, than you will be charged per credit accordingly. If you go below 12 credits, then you put both your financial aid and visa status in jeopardy. You are also required to stay within the credit limits of your host university. 
  • All courses taken abroad will appear on your transcript, including withdrawn or failed courses. If the course is on your host university transcript, it must appear on your Drexel transcript. 

It's important to make sure you are attending class regularly. While you may notice your international classmates skipping class, this doesn't mean you should do the same. Each country grades differently and making sure you attend your classes regularly is important. If you need help with materials covered in class, ask the professor, TA, or a classmate. And remember, if you have any questions or concerns while you are abroad, please reach out to your study abroad advisor or e-mail us at

Photo by:
Christopher Bauer, Equatorial Guinea