Making An Appointment
SAME DAY APPOINTMENTS AT THE COUNSELING CENTER
JANUARY 4 - 15, 2021
The Counseling Center is pleased to announce that we will be offering same day appointments between Monday, Jan. 4 and Friday, Jan. 15.
The Counseling Center values meeting the needs of all students, and now students can get help in a wider variety of ways, even during the Center’s busiest times. Same Day Appointments mean that you will be able to talk to a therapist the same day you seek help. The Center has a large number of openings for students to schedule with one of our clinicians. All you need to do is email the Counseling Center at firstname.lastname@example.org on the same day that you would like to meet with a clinician.
- Students who schedule a Same Day Appointment will meet with a clinician for a confidential, solution-focused approach, which means they prioritize meeting immediate needs that day. By the end of the appointment, you and your clinician will have discussed next steps, which could include encouraging you to follow up as needed, connecting you with a campus partner, discussing the Center’s various services or connecting you with our Case Manager.
- Students should plan for this appointment to last approximately 30 minutes. Your clinician will talk with you about the reasons you scheduled the appointment and will focus on meeting your immediate needs.
- To schedule a Same Day Appointment, students are encouraged to email the Counseling Center between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. We will attempt to schedule you for the same day, but depending on availability you may be not be seen until the following business day.
Students also have access to our online library of Self-Help Resources. This means you can get support on a range of topics on your own terms and work at your own pace. We have compiled a list of websites, apps, and video recordings of some of our most popular Center workshops.
Students can sign-up for Drexel's 7 Cups program. 7 Cups is an online service that connects its users with caring listeners who help provide emotional support for non-crisis issues. This does not replace therapy, but instead provides peer-to-peer support 24-hours-a-day. For more information, visit the Drexel 7 Cups page.
Students who wish to engage in consistent ongoing therapy off-campus can meet with our Case Manager who provides support connecting with a large network of providers and can be there every step of the way if you need help navigating barriers to accessing care or finding a provider.
Please note that when the Center is closed, students can still receive after-hours crisis support in the event of an emergency. You can reach the Counselor-on-Call after hours or on the weekend at 215.416.3337. Other important numbers that may be helpful include Drexel Public Safety: 215.895.2222; or Dial 9-1-1.
Same Day Appointment dates are subject to change based on University and Philadelphia safety guidelines, which may impact our return to campus.
Keeping Our Community Healthy
We hope that you are doing well in light of the ongoing concerns regarding COVID-19 (coronavirus). With this rapidly-evolving situation, we continue to evaluate how best to deliver our services in order to protect the health and safety of Drexel University's students and staff. As a result of recent announcements by the University, the staff of the Counseling Center will be operating remotely through the fall 2020 academic term; all on-campus/in-person services have been suspended.
Teletherapy services will be offered via HIPAA-compliant Zoom (video chat) and will be offered with an emphasis on addressing a student’s immediate concerns, with a particular focus on problem-solving and symptom management. In cases where a student may not be able to connect via Zoom, telephone sessions will be offered as an alternative. Several online group counseling and workshop resources will be made available in the coming weeks.
For students interested in a referral for off-campus counseling, our case manager is available to provide resources or to help with navigating insurance to find a provider.
Further updates will be posted as they become available. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For more information about coronavirus visit https://drexel.edu/now/coronavirus/response/.
Hours and Scheduling
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Counseling Center will be scheduling teletherapy appointments between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday - Friday. If you would like to make an appointment for teletherapy or are trying to reach the Counseling Center for another issue, please email email@example.com. Our voicemail will be checked every hour during normal business hours, so if you call us by phone we ask that you leave a message with your name and email contact information so we can respond.
While we are working remotely, students will be asked to complete the following steps when scheduling a first-time appointment:
- Students should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment.
- After you have confirmed the date and time of your appointment, you will receive an email response which will include information about two additional email notifications you will receive before your meeting time.
- The instructions that are listed in these emails must be followed in order for treatment at the Counseling Center to begin. They includes the steps to complete paperwork through an online system and approval of a meeting request via Zoom.
- IMPORTANT: ALL PAPERWORK MUST BE COMPLETED AT LEAST TWO HOURS BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT TIME OR ELSE YOU WILL BE ASKED TO RESCHEDULE. Please leave yourself enough time as it can take between 20-30 minutes to complete all paperwork. In addition, your session will time-out after 30 minutes so please complete your forms in one sitting.
If you have questions about this process, please email email@example.com.
If you are currently in crisis, please contact our on-call counselor at 215.416.3337. If this is a psychological emergency and you need immediate attention, please dial 911 or visit your nearest emergency room.