MS, Museum Leadership
Specialize in Museum Leadership
Drexel’s Museum Leadership program prepares future leaders to embrace the opportunities and challenges of the evolving museum landscape. Our broad conception of the field includes art, science, history, and cultural museums; living collections such as zoos, arboreta, and aquariums; and historical houses and sites. The program combines exceptional resources with Drexel’s strengths in applied education, arts administration, business, information science, online learning, and more. The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, the Fox Historic Costume Collection and the many world-class museums in the region are the program’s laboratories.
This 45-credit Master of Science degree, which includes a practicum, can be completed full- or part-time and a portion of the program is online. The innovative curriculum includes planning and design; governance; financial management and resource development for museums; technology, including the uses of technology in exhibition design, communications, and management; education and public programming; partnerships and collaboration; and legal and ethical issues for museums.
The Master of Science in Museum Leadership is designed to prepare leaders who will enable museums to fulfill their stewardship and service missions. Graduates of the program will be prepared to:
- Lead museums that preserve, present, and critically interpret the knowledge and heritage of diverse human societies and identities.
- Guide museums toward financial security and stability.
- Address the changing nature of museums by engaging with new technologies, educational and community outreach, demographic expansion, and a fluctuating political and philanthropic environment.
- Develop exhibitions and programs that address current public expectations of the museum experience, including responsiveness to diverse communities and participatory engagement.
- Shape a workforce that represents the full diversity of each museum’s surrounding community.
- Engage with their local communities as well as a national and international community of museums and museum-goers.
[See MS, Arts Administration]
JOIN US BY APPLYING TODAY.