RESEARCH, SCHOLARSHIP & CREATIVE WORK
Thinkers. Doers. Makers. Scholars. Solvers.
The Westphal College of Media Arts & Design, with more than 120 full-time faculty and more than 2,200 students, encompasses a wide range of expertise in virtually all fields of design, media, the arts, and creative enterprise.
The College’s faculty and students are passionate about their research, scholarly, and creative pursuits, from grant-funded research focused on real-world problems to scholarship aimed at increasing the world’s knowledge to the creation of inspiring visual, performing, and media arts.
Westphal prides itself in its commitment to working collaboratively across disciplines, and all faculty are encouraged and supported to undertake research, scholarship, and creative activities within their given fields.
Examples of this work include:
- Our Digital Media faculty work in serious gaming, artificial intelligence and virtual and immersive realities with collaborators from many other Drexel colleges and schools.
- Our Department of Design’s programs in Fashion Design and Product Design are actively engaged in research on smart textiles and the development of products to improve human life.
- The Department of Architecture, Design & Urbanism’s faculty have diverse research expertise related to the study of the urban and built environment.
- Faculty from our Entertainment & Arts Management, Arts Administration & Museum Leadership, Retail & Merchandising, and Music Industry programs study critical issues in the arts, cultural, and creative industries.
- Our Faculty in Music, Dance, Theatre, Photography, Film & Television, and Art & Art History are notable artists and scholars with national reputations.
The strength of the Westphal College is our expertise in recognized creative fields, and our culture, which embraces interdisciplinary collaboration. As artists, designers and scholars, we have unique skills as creative problem-solvers, design thinkers, and as deep observers of humanity, which we seek to share in collaboration with colleagues from engineering, the sciences, education, business and the health professions.
Want to learn more about Westphal’s research, scholarship, and creative work or find a collaborator? Contact us at email@example.com.
Westphal faculty are actively engaged in creating new knowledge and impactful solutions by undertaking basic and applied research, fostering transdisciplinary collaborations, and creating works that address critical needs and design our future.
Learn about the recent research, scholarship and creative work accomplishments by Westphal faculty.
Westphal Research Council
The Westphal College’s Research Council provides support and leadership to all Westphal faculty through the provision of educational, networking, and professional development opportunities. The Council’s mission is to increase the scope, reach, and impact of Westphal’s research, scholarship, and creative activity.
Learn more about the Westphal Research Council and their work.
Westphal Research Council