Social Science Research Committee sponsored by the Office of Research
April 23, 2019
The Office of Research has for the past six years sponsored a group of faculty to help spur social sciences research at the university. Originally named the Social Sciences Initiatives, we have recently renamed this group as the Social Sciences Research Committee (SSRC). We are pleased to announce the new members of the SSRC.
The mission of the Social Science Research Committee (SSRC) is to advance social science scholarship of Drexel University through an engaging and sustainable research community. Social science is broadly defined as the study of society and/or the relationships among people, groups, or institutions within societies. The accomplishment of this mission requires mechanisms that (1) facilitate communication among social scientists; (2) promote a strong collective identity; (3) enhance the awareness of social science research aligned with the University’s strategic initiatives; (4) provide opportunities for social scientists to develop methodological expertise; (5) support efforts to acquire external funding; (6) identify and encourage collaboration among social scientists and between social scientists and scholars in other disciplines; and (7) increase students’ understanding of—and participation in—social science research.
If you consider yourself a social scientist or your research is related to social science, you are welcome to join the Social Science Research Community Group (formerly Social Science Initiative mailing list).
SSRC will use several tools and organize a series of activities to build a social science research community, such as:
- Informal gatherings for social scientists to chat with old and new colleagues about research
- SSRC Group and website for social scientists to introduce their research, locate research resources, and share/exchange research information
- "Tuesdays at 2" – regular research events at 2:00 on Tuesdays, for social scientists to learn cutting-edge research methods, discuss major funding calls, and explore important research themes (e.g., civic engagement, a key strategic initiative of the University)
- Visits with funding agencies
- Helping match faculty who need research assistance and students who are interested in joining long-term research projects
The Office of Research thanks SSRC members for their diligent work and encourages social scientists from across campus to participate in SSRC activities!
Debjani Bhattacharyya (College of Arts and Sciences)
Brian Daly (College of Arts and Sciences)
Kareem Edouard (School of Education)
Robert Field (Kline School of Law)
Brea Heidelberg (Westphal College of Media Arts and Design)
Jordan Hyatt (College of Arts and Sciences)
Hyunmin Lee (College of Arts and Sciences)
Dali Ma (LeBow College of Business; SSRC Chair)
Philip Massey (Dornsife School of Public Health)
Elizabeth McGhee Hassrick (Autism Institute)
Janell Mensinger (Dornsife School of Public Health)
Larry Milliken (Library)
Suzanne Rocheleau (Undergraduate Research)
Kelly Underman (College of Arts and Sciences)