Welcome to the WELL Clinic at Drexel University
Our Purpose and Mission
The WELL Clinic at Drexel University provides, evidence-based treatment for weight management, eating disorders, and related conditions, as well as pre- and post- operative bariatric surgery evaluations.
Our Expertise and Focus
Our outpatient treatment program is designed for individuals who suffer from overweight and obesity, eating disorders and related conditions. We also work with children and adolescents, and their families, to provide skills training and coaching for loved ones of child and adolescent patients. Additionally, we offer psychological evaluations and nutrition counseling for individuals in the pre-operative assessment process for bariatric surgery.
The goal of our clinic is to provide evidence-based treatment for weight management, eating disorders and related conditions. We only use empirically-based, therapeutic approaches with strong research backing to provide the most clinically effective treatments.
For individuals affected by an eating disorder such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, avoidant and restrictive food disorders and compulsive exercise behavior, we offer the following types of treatment:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Eating Disorders: Teaches skills to help adjust how you think and feel about food, eating and body image.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Eating Disorders: Uses acceptance and mindfulness strategies, together with commitment and behavior change strategies, to increase psychological flexibility, reduce eating disorder symptoms and improve quality of life.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy: Builds skills around mindfulness, emotional suffering, identifying emotions, assertiveness and problem-solving.
For individuals affected by overweight and obesity, and related conditions, we offer the following types of treatment:
- Behavioral Weight Loss Treatment: Teaches cognitive, behavioral and nutritional strategies enabling permanent changes in eating and physical activity behaviors, and healthy weight loss.
- Acceptance-Based Behavior Treatment for Weight Loss and Weight Loss Maintenance: A blend of modern behavioral approaches and Eastern mindfulness; teaches cognitive, behavioral, nutritional skills; encourages awareness of and acceptance of internal experiences and helps to identify ultimate motivating values beyond weight loss for its own sake. (See our workbook for more information.)
Comprehensive Diagnostic Evaluation
Whether you are coming to the WELL Clinic for weight management or eating disorders treatment, we will first conduct a comprehensive evaluation to determine the best treatment plan for you.
Pre-Operative Bariatric Surgery Evaluation
We conduct pre-operative evaluations to determine whether bariatric surgery is an appropriate treatment as well as provide nutritional counseling on the post-operative bariatric diet.
Both types of evaluation will include an assessment to gather information about your:
- Psychiatric history
- Current psychological function
- Weight and dieting history
- Current eating behaviors and physical activity
Contact the Clinic
Our clinic staff will:
- Answer your questions and provide you with detailed information about our services
- Gather information from you by phone to determine if your concerns are within the scope of what we treat
- Provide you with more information about our research studies that offer free treatment, and if interested, screen you for eligibility
- If you wish to seek treatment at our clinic, we will Schedule you for a comprehensive diagnostic evaluation with one of our clinicians to determine the best treatment plan
- If your concerns are not treatable at our Clinic, we will try to help you find a more appropriate referral.
Interested in making an appointment or learning more? Complete our interest survey. You can also contact us at email@example.com or at 215.553.7100.