Graduating with professional experience and global perspectives, communication students embark on successful careers in journalism, marketing, technical editing, public relations and more.
Students in Drexel University’s Department of Communication gain broad theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience as they work toward successful careers in public relations, marketing, journalism, technical writing and countless areas in which communication skills are essential.
WHY COMMUNICATION AT DREXEL?
- Experiential Education: Through Drexel’s cooperative education (co-op) program, students embark on challenging co-ops in both the for-profit and non-profit sectors.
- Industry Connections: Communication majors benefit from Drexel connections to big-city media organizations like Comcast, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX and PBS.
- Hands-On Opportunities: Students get involved from day one with Drexel’s student-run newspaper, pro-bono editing service and media outlets like its TV and radio stations.
- Supportive Faculty: Our engaged and accomplished faculty offer mentorship and opportunities for collaboration on academic and professional projects.
DREXEL COAS SCHOOL OF COMMUNICATION CURRICULUM
The Communication bachelor’s program offers four distinct concentrations: Public Relations, Journalism, Technical and Science Communication, and a flexible, general Communication track. Students in all communications concentrations gain up to 18 months of real-world career experience in Drexel’s renowned cooperative education (co-op) program.
At the graduate level, the Department of Communication offers a Master of Science in Communication with three areas of specialization: Public Communication, Technical Communication and Science and Health Communication. The department also offers a Master of Science in Communication, Culture and Media as well as a Doctorate in Communication, Culture and Media.
THE DREXEL CO-OP PROGRAM FOR COMMUNICATION STUDENTS
Unlike other universities that offer communication degrees, Drexel's renowned cooperative education program gives students experience through up to three, six-month periods of full-time employment. During this time, students explore their career options, strengthen their résumés and build a professional network in the process of attending a school of communication.
Students in all concentrations conduct co-ops with industry leaders, including:
- The Philadelphia Flyers
- The Philadelphia Eagles
- The Philadelphia 76ers
- Regional and national public relations agencies
- TV stations, newspapers, magazines and online media
- And many more businesses and organizations
Learn more about the Drexel Co-Op Program
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES WITH A DEGREE IN COMMUNICATION
Graduates of Drexel’s undergraduate and graduate Communication majors enjoy successful careers in print and broadcast journalism, public relations, media relations, corporate communication and countless other areas. Most have gone on to work for regional and national corporations. For others, the flexible degree has been the springboard to top graduate programs, business and law schools.
Discover career possibilities with your degree from Drexel:
STUDENT AND PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS FOR COMMUNICATION STUDENTS
The following organizations provide resources and experience to current students as early as freshman year:
- Drexel Media Outlets including The Triangle, Drexel’s student-run newspaper, Drexel University Television (DUTV) and WKDU 91.7FM.
- Drexel Edits: Provides editing and proofreading services to local nonprofits. Contact: Lawrence Souder at email@example.com.
- PRSSA: Drexel's student chapter of the Public Relations Society of America. Contact: Scott Tattar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE COMMUNICATION PROGRAMS AT DREXEL COAS
Are you ready to take the first step in choosing a school of communication? To discover the degree that is best for you, look at our Communication Studies programs.
APPLY FOR A DEGREE IN COMMUNICATION
Apply for a degree in communication or visit campus to get firsthand information about a Drexel education. Contact the Department Administrator, Sharon Wallace at email@example.com for more information.
There are currently no upcoming events.